Selling a Horse.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by JStorry, May 15, 2018.

1. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

For years I've heard people talk about the struggles of selling horses. Mostly the lowballers, tire kickers and repetitive question asking. And now I'm beginning to see the struggle. Thankfully I haven't had any lowballers. Tire kickers and people who don't seem to read the ad are the norm.

Probably the worst part is that I really don't want to sell him, but I bred him to sell. I could keep him, but my goal when breeding him was to sell him. I'm following through on that.

Just a mini rant. People are frustrating.

palimino57 likes this.
  2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I'm going to be selling one soon, and I completely dread it. People want something for nothing. I didn't spend money and training on a horse to let it sell for cheap. :confused::rolleyes:

GONE ROPING, Puddincup and JStorry like this.
  3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I hate selling horses. It's so frustrating.

JStorry likes this.
  4. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

I've been lucky so far with no low ballers. I do have him priced fairly high, and he is an unstarted prospect. Most people I talk seem to think 6000k is fair price for him, maybe on the low side. Which is great to hear. I put a lot of research, planning and care to produce him. Not to mention money haha.

It makes it easier that I'm not in a rush. I will start him soon myself though. Kid needs a job! Lol

5. Tige Ress

Tige Ress Full Member

but beer is good....lolol.....country song i believe?

mooselady likes this.
  6. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

Just have patience with the questions. I am buying right now, and I DO read ads. But I read a lot of them, and sometimes I get mixed up. Also, I just want to hear you talk about your horse. Sometimes people let something slip that is a red flag, but mostly I hear more about what it is like to own and work with the horse, which can be useful when I ride or if I end up buying.

bellalou, Pony123 and JStorry like this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Good luck, at least they realize that you are selling a horse.

Try selling a mule. They look at the picture and ask if my horse is still for sale~!!

8. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Pertinent questions are one thing. And honestly I love talking about him. It's the people who message me asking 'how much' when the price is right in the ad.

I understand buying. I've done it. And buying long distance is even harder, which I've also done. I'm not marketing to the locals, so I know I need good pictures and video and time to chat with interested buyers.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

The last few I have sold my trainer handled...so much easier than dealing with all the crap...I hope I never have to handle a sale myself again.

I don’t mind chatting with genuine people, but the level of crazy that appeared when I was selling the horse that hurt me was shocking...I lost it the day that I was contacted, in response to an ad that was very truthful about his shortcomings and that he has violently dispatched the last two people who rode him, by a mother asking if he would be good for her to share with her daughter...

“Well yes, if you don’t like your daughter much”

GONE ROPING, JStorry and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Good point, if they've been looking at a lot of ads. Probably best to just expect stupid questions tbh.