Self-driving cars

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bellalou, Apr 2, 2018.

1. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

It made it down I-25 with no problems. Color me impressed.

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Exactly! Doesn’t anyone remember the Terminator!? Or Battlestar Galactica!?

ginster likes this.
  3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Which is why self driving cars should be based on KITT. Primary function: preservation of human life. :ROFLMAO:

(I just reallyreallyreally want my very own KITT. I like driving, myself. I just want KITT.:rofl:)

mooselady and ginster like this.
  4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I hadn't picked up on that. :p

Arem likes this.
  5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I could say it 47 more times and add pictures and video if you’d like. :D:D:D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

6. Charliemyheart

Charliemyheart Senior Member

Even if it were to give those with health or disabilities who can’t drive the ability to do so? Even if it gives others the chance to experience the freedom you so love?

7. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

Exactly. We learn to predict future behavior based on current behavior. Like the car riding up just to the front of you constantly checking their mirrors, them suddenly trying to cut you off isn't a surprise, but how would a self-driving car ever see that and be able to react like us? There are just way too many variable for me right now. And to be honest, the thought of them ever developing an AI that was capable of that, I am not really a fan of that either.

NaeNae and manesntails like this.
  8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Oh no you don't! I have no problem with providing the assistance of technology for people who can't otherwise enjoy the things I am able to do. But self-driving cars are not being marketed for that purpose - they are being marketed so that people - and I'm quoting one of the experts discussing them here - "don't have to pay attention."

What I do NOT want is for self-driving cars to simply take the place of human-driven cars. I want the choice to drive and the way they are being promoted and pushed, it is going to be just as hard to find an actual human-powered vehicle in the not-too-distant future as is is right now to find a manual transmission.

HayleyS likes this.
  9. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

With my current health problems a self driving car would really be handy, even if I did most of the driving but the car took over if I became incapable.

mooselady and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

It has nothing to do with them and everything to do with the latest generation growing up with their faces shoved in their phones and tablets. Let's now put them behind the wheel of a car that drives itself. Even more reason not to take their faces out of their friggin phones. There's enough issues with people killing other people because Facebook or a text message was more important than actually driving. Remove the "need" to drive and what do you think is going to happen? Technology fails, even in a self driving car you need to be aware of your surroundings and what is going on. That isn't going to happen. The freedom will be taken advantage of.

My point is, and no offense to anyone that is younger and still not to adulthood, but they really don't need this technology or access to this technology. They eat Tide Pods. They snort condoms up their noses. I would rather just not.

endurgirl, Puddincup and manesntails like this.