Self-driving cars

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bellalou, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Which is why KITT would be awesome. Can drive self, but human driver can take over whenever. :D

Ms_Pigeon likes this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Stupid idea IMHO. :cautious:
    The whole fun in having a vehicle is in driving it~!!

I'm still waiting for my flying car ~!!
    I watched the Jetsons as a kid and was sure that by the time I was old enough to drive, they would be available, but Nope~!! :mad:

They can put a man on the moon, but they can't make a flyingcar~!! :willynilly:

mooselady and bellalou like this.
  3. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Oh yeah because we really need to encourage people becoming more stupid.

Plenty of people now can't even drive a manual. Do we really need generations of people that can't drive, period? "Why should I have to check my lanes? My car does it for me!" "Parallel park? Forget that. My car does it!"

I vote no. I'm already annoyed by the younger generations that expect people and technology to do everything for them.

4. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

I don't think that people will want to lose that kind control, but I could be wrong.

For myself it would be an adjustment because I love driving and I can't stand when other people drive. I can never fully relax.

However I do think that this would allow disabled people to be free in a way that's not readily available to them now. Lots of elderly and disabled people have to rely on someone else to get them places and this would allow them to be more independent.

5. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Honestly thinking, it may improve on some people's ability (or lack there of) to drive. Take away what they have to do, the car does it for them. There are some honestly god awful drivers on the road.

But I really don't think the world is ready for them just yet... I don't know.

6. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

Sure, I have reservations. But when I weigh them against the perils of human engaged in distracted driving...it's a pretty close call.

I was doing a bit of work on my front garden yesterday (we live on a busy-ish street in a medium-ish city). Seriously: at least 75% of people seem to be driving with a phone held up in front of their faces or are in the "looking down at my lap, then glancing up, and so on" posture.

SCARY.

phantomhorse13 likes this.
  7. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

We were just having this conversation the other day, and at this point in time I don't think we have the technology for this. If I am driving down the road I am aware of what is going on around me. I see the guy several cars back being aggressive with his driving and I am ready for him. I see the kid, or dog, playing in the unfenced yard by the road and I am aware they could run out at any moment, even though at the moment they are not moving toward the road. I can see and predict what will happen around me based on behavior, and we just don't have technology that is there yet, so I have no interest in self-driving cars at the moment. Also, I like being in complete control of what I am driving, I even hate anti-lock brakes, so there is that.

8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Yes, this is a big part of what I don't like. Self-driving cars can react but they aren't going to be able to make the types of predictions humans can.

Yeah, people are rotten drivers but I'd feel so helpless sitting in a tin can on the freeway with no sense of control.

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Uuuuhhhhh...Rise Of The Machines..
    I don't trust the system to be "hacker safe".
    I would like to keep on driving myself, kay, thanks.

10. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

This is a big thing for me. There was a case in the states recently of a woman being struck and killed by a self driving car, when she jumped out in front of it to cross with her bike. Someone driving and watching her might have been able to predict or be a bit more cautious if they had seen her shoulder checking or looking as if she was interested in crossing the road and already have had their foot off of the gas and hovering the brake.

HayleyS likes this.