Self-Defense

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by equinitis, Nov 28, 2018.

?

Have you had self defense training in your adult life

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

So another conversation got me thinking about this and I want to know now!

How many of the women in this group take/have taken self defense classes of some sort?

I mostly want to know about hand-to-hand sort of stuff because being proficient with a fire arm or other weapon is not really conducive to being constantly able to defend yourself from an attacker if you do not carry that weapon all of the time. For example, I am more than proficient with a firearm but I do not carry all of the time, or even most of the time, so it doesn't do me much good most of the time. Although the one time in my life I have been in position to need to defend myself in my home, I used a 12 gauge shotgun to great affect and didn't even have to pull the trigger!

I feel like I am able to defend myself, especially against an un-armed attacker, because I have made it a habit to take any interesting looking classes I see being offered. I have a lot of training in defensive tactics through the military, LE and corrections also.

My favorite class was offered by a fella that taught defensive tactics in the corrections academy many years ago and had a side business teaching knife fighting as part of a marital arts dojo. I am unsure what martial arts it was. I took the class about 10 or more years ago but so much of it stuck with me. It was Practical Self Defense for Women. He talked a lot about doing the unexpected, going against basic instinct, when attacked and demonstrated several different ways to react to being grabbed by the hair, grabbed from behind (around the neck and/or shoulders) and being advanced upon from the front. When I think about the class, a lot of the stuff comes back to me but some it has become second nature to me, like giving or actually pushing into a person that has grabbed me and is pulling or restraining my forward motion. It is expected a person will try to pull away so when you push into, it throws them off balance and can allow you to take the advantage. My husband complains about it on the rare occasions we have rough housed and my big and strong sons have suffered defeat many times from me using this tactic. They were teens when I took the class and I practiced on them a lot. They still don't expect me to basically run them over when they try to stop me from "getting away" form them.

Anyway, I was just curious.

I also want to encourage every woman out there to take some classes. Many of the classes are not physical and do not require you to show up in sweats and hit the mats. A really good class with teach you how to think, how to use your mental might to get away rather than requiring physical strength or muscle memory to be successful.
    I have nothing against martial arts and such but those things require dedication and repetition to be proficient and not everyone is physically able to participate in that type of training.

Check it out and tell me your experience!

Alsosusieq2 and heartland like this.
  2. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

I am leaving for class soon but yes, I have taken conceal carry classes, I shoot regularly, and practice with many different caliber of firearms. From rifles, to shotgun, AR, AK, etc...

I was once stalked and became a victim out of fear...no more. I am in control of my life, I am in control of what happens to me to a point and when police are minutes away, seconds count.

3. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

We can absolutely be in control of, if not what happens, how we react to it. Confidence is a wonderful thing and help is not always close enough to be of immediate assistance.

Have you taken any other types of self defense classes? Anything other than firearms? Do you carry all of the time, everywhere you go?

I'm not taking anything away from the fact you are trained and can carry concealed. I work in corrections and it is illegal to have a weapon of any description in my vehicle. I often run errands or shop before or after work so am not armed in town a lot.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

I've had a couple different classes over the years. Just very brief, a few hours each.

Do I feel like I could defend myself?

Well, I have defended myself in the past, in fact some years ago I decked a guy who was ah...inappropriate with one punch, but now, with arthritis and asthma, I'm not sure that I could do it. I carry a pepper spray, which I suppose would discourage some of them, but not all.

Alsosusieq2 and equinitis like this.
  5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Well, who here doesn’t know what I do? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Self defense class is actually how I got into Martial Arts so I can give kind of a “from both views” perspective.

3 years ago now, I took a leap of faith and went to a self defense class (put on by a Jiu Hitsu gym) that I was invited to by a church friend who trained there. I didn’t actually decide I was going for sure until the last possible second. So I was late. :ROFLMAO:

I am NOT someone who likes to be touched, especially by men, and I had just left an abusive relationship only a few weeks prior. Because of that, I was dealing with a re-appearance of the anxiety I used to have. So it was waaaaaaaay out of my comfort zone.

They started us out easy with simple wrist break and “what to do if someone grabs you by the arm” techniques to get us used to being touched and grabbed. Then we worked up from there. (Grabbed from behind and so on) I was extremely nervous, but I discovered that, as I learned the techniques, the less scary it was. They could touch me or or me where they wanted, and that was fine. Because I could get free!!

Anyway, I left feeling more alive than I had in a long, long time. And full of confidence. I went back to another a month later, and a month after that I started taking regular Jiu Jitsu classes. First once a week, then up to three, then 4, and now anywhere between 4 and 6. :ROFLMAO: I actively compete.

One of my favorite things, though, is now being on the other side of the self defense classes. Instead of learning, I now help teach. It is AWESOME to help other people learn how fun learning self defense can be. Pretty much everyone comes in scared the first time, and typically everyone leaves with smiles and desire to come back to the next one.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is awesome for self defense for women for two reasons:
    It is designed to help a smaller opponent overcome a larger one, even if the larger person is stronger. And because it’s largely a ground fighting art.

If a man assaults a woman, where does he ultimately want to put her?

On the ground.

With Jiu Jitsu, you can still survive and escape an assult even if your attacker took you to the ground before you could get away. He could be straddling you, choking you, and you can still get away. And it’s easier than you’d think, too!

Another great thing about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is that you don’t have to invest crazy amounts of time if all you want is simple self defense. Even if it’s just once a month, once every couple months, or whatever you can manage attending a women’s self defense course (most BJJ gyms have them periodically and often in partnership with police departments) and practicing techniques occasionally on a willing friend on your own is sufficient. You don’t have to hold a particular belt level to be affective. It helps, sure, but it’s not necessary if your goal if only having some skills for “just in case.”

Jiu Jitsu is fun. I strong encourage trying it. :D And self defense classes do seem scary at first, but it should be fun! And from the right place, it will be.

I’d apologize for the novel, but I’m not sorry. :p

Here’s a video that gives you an idea of what Jiu Jitsu self defense classes offer. This particular gym and program is more formal than most (usually it’s just show up in comfy clothes and there are no belts and such) but other than that it gives a good look.

endurgirl, ginster and equinitis like this.
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Also, beware of the women’s self defense videos that often circulate Facebook. Many of them are bull crap techniques that won’t work and will get in you in more trouble. Jiu Jitsu or not, go learn self defense in person from a reputable program. Especially one associated with a police department.

ginster, equinitis and wpgrider like this.
  7. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

It was a required part of our high school curriculum.

Alsosusieq2, equinitis and Arem like this.
  8. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Really? That is a great thing IMO. I wish all schools offered it.

Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.
  9. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Absolutely! Check out the classes being offered and the instructors teaching them. Google might be your friend, work of mouth, local law enforcement officers/agencies, etc. are often great sources of information.

Arem and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Yes. I did kick boxing at a martial arts studio. They taught self defense as well.

Also did some in high school law class. A police officer came in and gave us some pointers.

ETA being the smallest girl in the group both times made me an instant target. So I had to actually participate.

Arem and Alsosusieq2 like this.