Seasonal hives happens yearly

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by rhinebeck, Jul 16, 2018.

1. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

vet came and gave iv dex left 3 days to continue orally twice a day

Nemo has an issue with seasonal hives it has happened every year for the eight years I’ve owned her. They start on her neck and move down her body...

Usually 10 25mg Benadryl knock it out (prior vet before retirement had me do this) and it had always helped years prior.

It always happens this time of year - there’s no common denominator between barns as she’s been in several different over the years so not thinking vegetation. Considering bug allergy of sorts...

Looking for ideas on how to prevent or ease it rather than have vet out often giving dex.

2. Mayelix

Mayelix Senior Member

My horse gets big welts all over as well as sweet itch every summer

Have you tried a fly sheet that covers her all over?

3. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

I have in prior years and didn’t notice a change

Currently planning to get another to try

4. slc

slc Senior Member

It could be trees blooming or distributing pollen - trees that are common to all areas the horse has been in. It could be grasses that bloom at a specific time or year, insects that swarm at that time of year...

5. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

Tree types are vastly different from western ma to eastern ma and then into New York - pollen levels have been different in each area and also different time of the years. This doesn’t flare up with pollen is extremely bad. Grasses have also been different from drylots to the same grass for over a year to being at one barn for almost 5 years with same results.

Bugs have also always flared up at different times of the year in all the areas we have been. But I’m leaning towards bugs

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Is she out on pasture?

I helped a friend figure out something her horse was eating when she let him graze was causing his hives. Still don't know what it was, but it was something that grew in the spring.

Starting at the neck tells me it is from what she is eating. That's how my horse's corn allergy started, neck and throat then as it got worse, it got bad on his belly.

A video of one of his reactions to the corn when he would go off of Dex for more than a day.

[video]

So you posted again while I posted. So the dry lot part I guess I would lean towards a bug too. My horse it could never have been bugs in the dead of winter.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

ok. it's bugs.

8. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

She is not on pasture at the moment but it’s also not a dirt lot there’s not enough grass to graze - no weird weeds either. Happened when she was on drylot at my dads house as well as other barns that had drylots only.

Hay is put up by us and tested semi annually, she’s eating coolstance and Timothy pellets along with free choice hay, has been on coolstance/pellet mix since 2013. Hay has changed from boarding barns hay back to our hay beginning of this month.

It’s always happened in summer between June and September :/

This flare up started yesterday and I gave Benadryl last night and called the vet this morning when I noticed everything was worse.

This is current living situation - these were taking mid last week.
    22E94E37-3F1C-4D1F-ABD6-08E50942E8E8.jpeg

3287003A-39EA-4352-AB64-01FA1213B50B.jpeg

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

In would be tempted to worm her with. Double dose of Ivermectin.... If the bumps get worse and more itchy after the Ivermectin she. Is orvably allergic to the larva that is carried in biting midges.

LoveTrail likes this.
  10. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

Safe to do while being given dex?