"Scratching" post?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by kyryah, Jan 13, 2008.

1. kyryah

kyryah Senior Member+

So, I have this idea.... And I want to know if it sounds like a BAD one :D

I am thinking about sinking a post in the middle of my paddock. Now, wait a minute... lol!

I would have 8-10 feet above ground. UNDER ground it would be sunk 2-4 feet, and cemented in. I want that much above ground to make sure that in the course of normal "horse play" no one reared up and came down on the top of the post. My tallest horse is 13.2, and not given to rearing. My boys rear at each other playing, but the tallest one of them is 40".

I then want to wrap the post in Astro-turf, or some other scratchy substance. Definately leaning towards the Astro-turf.

Does this sound like a good/safe idea to provide a "scratchy" area for my horses? Do you think that they would use this?

Sometimes I over think things and get into trouble, lol, so I just wanted to ask opinions ;)

Kristina

2. POMDEROSA

POMDEROSA Senior Member

We are also thinking of doing that and using the heads of large push brooms, maybe four and place them on each side of a square post. Mine arn't ready to shed yet so we will wait awhile longer. Sounds fine to me. I know mine are going to love it.

3. kyryah

kyryah Senior Member+

Thanks! That push broom idea sounds like a good one... i appreciate you sharing that! Of COURSE theya re going to get destroyed... and quickly, lol!

Kristina

4. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

You could also screw in some scrubbing brushes. Cheap and easy.

5. kyryah

kyryah Senior Member+

Do ya'll think that the height above ground is adequate to stave off injuries? That is my bigget concern. I mean, I am not talking about a T-post here, but I don't want one of my horses "coming down" on the top of the post and hurting themselves... I don't want to put something stupid in my paddock that could hurt one of my clumsy horses more than what they are already capable of doing without MY help:D

Kristina

6. kyryah

kyryah Senior Member+

Thanks, Chester, BTW.

Kristina

Chester likes this.
  7. rascalboy

rascalboy Senior Member

That sounds good to me. Push brooms, Astro-turf... You may want to use something that is non-toxic, in case one of your horses decides it looks good to snack on.

8. bay_blnd jmpr07

bay_blnd jmpr07 Senior Member+

My friend has a scratching post in her pasture for her horses. She has Spotted Drafts and a QH. Her Spotted Drafts are pretty tall and hefty and the post is still standing. It's hilarious to watch her big hefty boy scratch his bum on it LOL

9. Dicey

Dicey Senior Member

That sounds like a great idea, and definitely tall enough to avoid injuries for a 13.2 and below crowd. I'm sure they'll love it!

10. kyryah

kyryah Senior Member+

I hope it works, and yes, my only other concern is the *eating* it! But they don't chew on other stuuf, and have 24/7 hay, so I am hoping it won't be a problem. It would of course be immediately removed if I say one chewing on it.

Any idea what might be more organic?

Kristina