Saying goodbye

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Warpaint, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Warpaint

Warpaint Registered

So. I posted recently about my senior mare and gelding. They decision has been made to euthanize them together. Our mare has an aggressive Fibrosarcoma on her side, something our vet has never seen in the location it is in. It has been aggressive and gotten larger fairly quickly, even with pain management and daily maintenance. Surgery is not an option for removal and we fear in summer that it will be a maggot breeding ground on top of it being quite painful for her. On top of cancer she has developed an aggressive case of Uveitis in both eyes and it no longer seems fair to nurse her through her ailments. Her body has told us that it is breaking down. As for my gelding he is no longer maintaining a healthy weight, his muscle is atrophied making him look terrible despite his high level of care. His legs are terribly arthritic now and injections and pain management no longer offer him comfort or reprieve from his aging physique. He has a gimp leg which he hardly rests on and so we fear it's only a matter of time before he stresses his remaining legs beyond repair. They are a bonded pair for the last twenty years and have been in my care and my sisters care for the last decade. They gave us some of the most memorable times in our lives and have truly gotten to live their golden days out with us. They had a very rough start in life. It is just hard to lose them both at the same time. But we feel it is for the best. i guess I'm just writing this to reassure myself. That we did everything we could to make them comfortable and let them have a soft landing. Weve pulled them through some rough stuff, this time I just dont think it's fair to them. I don't want to watch them wither.. I just know this is a kinder way to go. With some dignity and kindness.

Dream27 likes this.
  2. Bebe

Bebe Full Member

Oh how very sad for you and your sister to go through. It does sound as if you are doing the best thing for all involved. I think those that are lucky enough to have loved a horse or horses in your case, do know when it's time to let go. They are lucky to have had you and I'm sure you will meet again. Sorry for your loss.

3. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

I know it’s hard but it sounds like it’s time to make that choice. Based on what you’ve written it’s the kindest thing to do. I recently just went through this with one of my mares. She had a fairly aggressive case of cushings that in the end ruined her immune system. The last few months we’d been dealing with a knee wounds that wouldn’t heal and became infected despite many antibiotics. On top of that she developed a different infection and I could tell it was time. While the immediate issues might have been curable, it was just a bandaid when the underlying issue would only get worse. The day before I put her down she was still hanging out in pasture with her friends and trotting around fairly comfortably, so it was hard to make that choice but I’d rather have put her down a day too soon than a day too late. Take solace in knowing you’ve given them the best life you could and are ending their pain.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

So sad that you are losing them both but I applaud you and your sister for giving them this last gift.
    You tried everything you could and it is just time for them to go. I think it is a kindness to have them euthanized together....thank you for making this decision for them.

5. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I'm so sorry. The responsibility is always a heavy one but also a last act of kindness. Sending hugs your way.

paval likes this.
  6. billz

billz Full Member

Warpaint:

Many of us have been where you are and feel your pain. I commend you for making the hard decision. I believe you have properly assessed the situation and are making the best, most humane decision. Knowing you've done your best doesn't make it any easier. My heart is heavy with sadness for you and you horse friends.

I'm find solace in knowing that someday, each of us will join those who we've lost, and ride again, across the heavens like shooting stars, blazing a trail for all the world to see!

Let's ride!

ginster likes this.
  7. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

You have made a tough decision that most animal lovers find hard. Good for you and your sister to decide in the animals favor. I'm sorry you had to and I hope you find peace in ending their suffering.

ginster likes this.
  8. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Sometimes all we can do is end their pain. I find it to be an honor to be with an animal as he crosses the bridge. I hope all goes smoothly for you. The hardest thing we ever ask of them is to trust us. You are honoring that trust by making this decision for them.

ginster likes this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I'm sure sorry for this, but you're doing the right thing. It takes a lot of strength, I feel for you. :loveflag:

10. Warpaint

Warpaint Registered

I want to thank all of you for your kind and encouraging words. Also for sharing your experiences. It has truly made the decision for them easier to deal with and puts us more at ease with the reality of it. Tomorrow is their scheduled date for humane euthanasia and the impending day has given us some anxiety. In the end we know this is the kindest thing we can do for them. The spark hasnt left their eyes but you can tell their bodies can no longer keep up and we know that another winter for them is just not an option. Thankyou all so much for responding.

ginster and shaiarabs like this.