Say hello to Katniss!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Friesiangirl, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Maybe she can jump?

:cool:

Friesiangirl likes this.
  2. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

Heck she'd be fun to jump, she's not afraid of anything. But alas, it's not really how she's built.

But hey we have a long life ahead of us.

3. Friesiangirl

She's taking life very seriously. IMG_erkmbc.jpg

4. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

I just love her! I bet she's a lot of fun. :)

Friesiangirl likes this.
  5. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

She's not yet started and already a full set of shoes????? What are those for?

6. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I believe she has been started, but not pushed to try and make it to the futurities she is bred for.

Friesiangirl likes this.
  7. Friesiangirl

She has 30 days, I'm just not riding until next year. She has shoes because their farrier felt it was best to correct a problem she was having but I am also having my farrier look at her next week.

If she needs them, he'll be honest. I love my newer farrier.

Also, Maddy is doing well. She's lost her muscle tone because her job is way easier now. But they love her. I'm so glad.
    IMG_-ilww7.jpg

8. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Curiously, what is the "issue" she was having ? Have her feet been xrayed to determine before/after improvements or not with the shoes? I say that because I would pull those shoes since she is still developing if there is not a real necessity for having them on. I would not put shoes on a 2 year old horse just because a farrier said so...ya...because he will make more money too.
    I am so glad Maddy moose has a little girl who loves her. So sweet.

Friesiangirl likes this.
  9. Friesiangirl

Well since she got her feet done the day before I officially bought her I didn't have any say in the matter. The former owners felt they were doing the right thing for her.

I want them pulled but I will be looking to my farrier for his opinion next week, as stated. I imagine they will be pulled.

The issue was apparently her pasterns are long (according to their farrier and a vet I'm not fond of anyways) and they wanted to add support via the shoes I guess. I don't think they're that long - but I'm also not trying to ride her. Her pasterns are why she was sold, end of story. A huge reason why I don't even want to ride her until she matures some more. Would rather use turn out on varied terrain and ponying to build her up.

10. Friesiangirl

To put it mildly in a public forum -
    I don't agree with shoeing her. I unfortunately didn't own her when it was done. I have a professional and friend relationship with the former breeder/trainer so I didn't put my foot down because I knew I could just wait until she gets to barn to be controlling about things.

Basically unless she absolutely has to have them I don't even want them on her. It's not good for the horse at her age, it's restrictive to growth among other things. So unless she has the weakest soles known to man, or some other hoof issue that could justify shoeing, I won't. She isn't even on difficult pasture - it's all dirt or grass. Limited rocks.