Santa Anita

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Copper17, Mar 4, 2019.

1. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Why would you assume I didn't read all the posts when I've been posting on this thread since page 2?

I'm referring to the fact the track officials are acting like it's a big mystery and news articles are going on about how racehorses are bred to be weak now. And yes, some comments here are focused on genetics. It's just totally irrational to me that genetics would only cause mass breakdowns on 1 track. If horses aren't breaking down on every track around the country with the same frequency then genetics really can't be blamed.

Puddincup, tlwidener and ginster like this.
  2. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

Either way the way the Stronach Group is handling this seems to be ticking a lot of people off

foxtrot and Amarea like this.
  3. Amarea

Amarea Senior Member

This is the way so many things are handled. Deny that there is a problem with their facility itself, implement changes for things that have likely nothing to do with the issue at hand, blame all sorts of outside factors (in this case - genetics), etc. They are going to try and deflect blame as much as possible in hopes that they can rectify the issue while people are focused on whomever or whatever they are blaming at that moment.

Copper17 likes this.
  4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I will never unsee that picture. Crying. That poor, sweet girl! That's going to haunt me for a long time.

NBChoice likes this.
  5. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Horses deserve so much better than this. As an industry, they should be hanging their heads in shame. Close the #$%#$ track. Keep horses legs off of that train wreck.
    What a day it would be if welfare of the animal came before money. Sadly, in so many cases that's just not it.

mygirl1197 and ginster like this.
  6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

What she said! Bad track and bad legs....something will happen.

Arem likes this.
  7. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I know.....it just stomach turning....poor baby. Godspeed sweet Princess.....

8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Stronach is about money....period. Where I board my old timer Sidney up the street......there is a very LARGE piece of abutting land, and Stronach approached the owners (the barn owner who has an "interest" in that property) about putting in a race track since Suffolk Downs is closed forever. They had a meeting in town etc with a proposal, I saw the plans, and who knows if this will come to fruition.

9. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Santa Anita bans drugs, limits whips after 22nd horse suffers fatal injury

This article mentions that this has been sort of common during this time of year, historically?

"
    The rash of deadly spills prompted officials to suspend racing at Santa Anita on March 3, and workouts didn't resume on the main track until Monday. Among the races that were canceled was the $600,000 Santa Anita Handicap on March 9.

While deadly accidents are a constant threat in horse racing, the number of recent deaths stands out. Ten horses died or were euthanized at Santa Anita from Dec. 26, 2017, to March 5, 2018, 11 during the same period in 2016-17 and 16 in 2015-16, according to data from the California Horse Racing Board."

10. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Just read on another forum that the main track was re-done in 2014?

Then these seeming to be common winter break down periods started happening 2015?

ginster likes this.