Santa Anita

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Copper17, Mar 4, 2019.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

And wanted to add....boy this is fodder for the militant PETA types, and other loonies which will demand ALL horses not be ridden.....whether they are race horses, trail horses, show horses etc.

peg4x4, Puddincup, Arem and 1 other person like this.
  2. Amarea

Amarea Senior Member

Here’s an interesting chart I found that someone made regarding the horses that have died there recently

Attached Files:

Pony123, GotaDunQH and Copper17 like this.
  3. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Hmmmmm.....good work for whoever did this. So, in looking at trainers, it's broadcast amongst the trainers...not one trainer stands out as having numerous. Only 5 happened on the Turf, ALL the rest happened on the track. The last race was a range between recently, after a layoff (maybe inbetween meets), and only a couple unraced. It would be interesting to also see the bloodlines for the "bad conformation passed on" aspect. Gives me some research to do this weekend!!

Arem likes this.
  4. Amarea

Amarea Senior Member

Just in what I’ve been looking at, it appears Princess Lili B had Native and Northern Dancer on both sides. Northern is on there at least 4x. There’s an interesting article about the breakdown of Eight Belles back in 2009 that discusses certain crosses that have been known to have ankle issues.

5. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

The Stormcat's and Unbridled's are also known to have bad front wheels. If you don't outcross on something with better bone, and just keep breeding bad bone with bad bone.....ugh, it's a set up for disaster.

Arem and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yep. They didn't call them glass legs for no good reason.

7. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

Apparently this move is ticking some trainers off. I agree.

This move is a dirt move to divert away from the fatalities. A lot of racetracks use drugs but you don't see a mass amount of break downs like Santa Anita has had in such a short span.

Puddincup likes this.
  8. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Sorry but I have no idea why people are talking about weak lines in racehorses. I've been following racing for nearly 30 years, yes, horses break down sometimes, yes, many horses are not bred for soundness. But this is something else entirely. Horses don't just suddenly snap both ankles after a work on a regular basis with the cause being bad breeding.

Is this happening on other tracks around the country? No, so there's something wrong with THAT track.

I have no idea why nobody is seeing that.

And it makes me sick that people are going to use this to try to boycott racing. The issue isn't with racing, it's with something very clearly wrong with this track.

9. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

That picture is HORRIFIC!! :sick::cry:

Arem likes this.
  10. Amarea

Amarea Senior Member

Actually, if you would have read all of the posts, nobody is denying there is something with the track. That DOESN’T mean that genetics aren’t a factor in the breakdowns. It is likely a perfect storm of conditions in some of these situations. It would be irresponsible for someone to claim that all the breakdowns are 100% because of genetics or 100% due to the track conditions.

Arem and ginster like this.