Santa Anita

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Copper17, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

Has anyone been following what's going on there?

Its been on the national news twice I believe because 20 horses have died in fatal breakdowns there since December. I know injuries happen as does death from said injury I any sport but 20 in such a short span is a lot.

They even had experts looks at the track and one horse has already died since those experts looked over the track. One of the horses who lost there lives is Battle of Midway.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

I have heard about this and it is heartbreaking. I love the sport but this is very hard for me to watch. I hope they do get some answers somehow and take precautions to prevent more breakdowns. They have had a ton of rain there and are getting more today, I think they closed the track for Thursday due to the rain. I just hope no more beautiful horses lose their lives on the track there especially with some big name horses racing this weekend.

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Wow...this is really horrifying..

4. mygirl1197

mygirl1197 Senior Member

THIS is why I hate horse racing! The horses are dying and they don't know how dangerous this sport is, or have a choice!

5. slc

slc Senior Member

I think something is very wrong. I watched videos of several of the horses breaking down. They did not seem to have anyhing going on - they were balanced and not fatigued.

I wonder if someone might be deliberately damaging the track surface.

6. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

It's really scary and my hearts go out to all those who's horses have died or been injured. Battle of Midway was one of my favorite horses this year and the pic that went out of his stall empty with flowers and treats in it made me cry.

7. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

They've had a lot more rain then is usual so some are saying that's probably a big factor. What I find fishy is some of the horses have broken down in roughly the same area of the track which tells me something is going on for definant in that area

8. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Another filly broke down today...:(

Copper17 likes this.
  9. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

The breakdowns at SA are from two big factors and a load of smaller ones.

Let's start with the two biggies, first the SA was never meant to be a full time year round race course. They had to pick up from when Hollywood Park was bulldozed. This has put way more stress on the track then the crews and footing can deal with. Now, compound unseasonable amounts of rain and it is a serious recipe for disaster.

Also, CA has a serious drug problem, right up there with Louisiana. Problem is the CA Racing Commission has zero incentive to get drug and drug trainers out as the "Big Name Trainers" are the ones pushing the medication envelope there. The smaller outfits just follow to try to keep up and be competitive. So until the worst of the Big Name Trainers finally retire (they have all been caught and all drug violations get swept under the rug or very weak slap on the wrists) this is what racing has been reduced to.....chemical warfar

I love racing, was a part of racing for over 20 years both TB and STB and I am sick at what the TBs are put through.

10. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

I think there should be another big factor how the Tbs are being bred now. Certain lines being known for horses who come up lame or break down etc