Sanding a horse's hoof??

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by miss_aria, May 7, 2007.

1. miss_aria

miss_aria Senior Member

I've heard a lot of things about hoof health and conditioning them for shows and everything and i was just wondering if any of you sand your horse's hooves? and how would you go about doing this? also, what suppliments would you suggest for that natral, healthy hoof? i've also heard you can put peanut oil on their hooves as hoof polish. Tell me what you think of this.
    thanks! :)

2. rageandglory

rageandglory Senior Member+

diet and DNA are your best bases for good feet. beyond that i don't know what others do but if you really want to, you might use a fine grade sand paper to take ONLY the surface dirt off evening out the appearance and then apply an oil of choice. sandpaper is good for taking off hoof polish after competitions, for sure. normally, a good stiff brush will do.

i caution the use of peanut oil specifically as, 'specially if you intend to show, others will be handling your horse's feet. people that are allergic to peanuts seem to be VERY allergic to them. so much so that simply handling a peanut oiled foot can cause them rapid, extreme and life-threatening adverse affects. vegetable oil would be safer tho not as easily absorbed. there are plenty of good hoof greases/oils/creams on the market that will produce a suitable lustre.

#1A likes this.
  3. Vyshtia

Vyshtia Full Member

Farriers have told me that sanding hooves is the equivalent of peeling off the top layer of your fingernail. Ever done that when peeling off nail polish? Well, when sanding a horse's hoof, you take off more that and it results in the hoof not being able to retain moisture as well. It *can* be very easily abused and very easy to be bad for the hoof.

If you're very careful and you provide proper daily moisture to the hooves after doing it, you can get away with it with minimal negative side effects - but if you get away with not doing it it at all, that would be the best.

4. jumpthemoon

jumpthemoon Senior Member+

I use Peanut oil on our horses hooves at the shows and never had any issues with it. We groom our own horse other than feed/clean and braiding. No sanding ever though.

:wink:

5. luvs2ride79

luvs2ride79 Senior Member+

Adding to what rageandglory said; Diet, DNA, and a balanced trim or shoe job is key to hoof health. Since going barefoot with a balanced trim, I no longer need feed supplements to keep their feet healthy and hard.

I sand my mare's feet before a show, just lightly with fine grit sand paper to smooth the edges down. For a shine, I liberally apply Hoof Heal and let it soak in for 5 minutes. Then I apply another coat, let set for 1 or 2 minutes, and whipe off. Then buff the feet to a natural, healthy glow! Hoof Heal is great as it doesn't block out moisture and actually prevents thrush and seedy toe.

6. rageandglory

rageandglory Senior Member+

on the recognized show curcuit here in the States, feet are constantly measured and inspected by the judges, stewards or TDs and according to USEF ruling. these folks are frequently total strangers to most competitiours and deserve the benefit of the doubt.

my farrier has a peanut allergy and i almost killed him. i found out the hard way just how sensitive peanut allergies really are. peanut oil is awesome on hooves (smaller molecular weight, easily absorbed) but deadly for the human with allergies. my precautionary statement was intended to allow for consideration of those "outside the family" that must deal with your horse or pony.

7. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Doing this occasionally, with a fine-grit paper/block, is ok. It creates a smoother surface on which to apply hoof oils for the show ring. Doing it weekly though is overkill and detrimental to the health of the foot.

Good feet (and skin and hair) start with a good diet. It's really rare to HAVE to use a hoof-specific supplement.

8. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

Wouldn't peanut oil attract the dirt and make the hoof look worse than it was to start with.

And with the peanut allergy, it is deadly. Here some entire schools ban the bringing of any thing peanut based onto the grounds for the sake of the children that are allergic to them.

9. John

John Senior Member+

Use an electric sander and clean them up nice!! It will not have to be done every week!

10. srlb4

srlb4 Full Member

Every Time You Sand The Hoof You Take Some Of The Hoof Wall And The More You Do It The Less It Grows Back. I Know This Is True Because I Have A Horse That They Did It To And Now He Can Not Go Bare Foot And He Has To Be Fed Biotin Every Day . So You May Want Too Think Twice Befor You Do It . I Use A Wax Base Past Shoe Polish To Do Feet For Shows , Just Put It On Let Dry And Buff With Soft Brush , Just Like A Pair Of Shoes, It Wears Off By The End Of The Day