Sand Clear side effects

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by CarlisleChipper, Oct 1, 2018.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

Yes I've searched the forum and Google.

My farm sits on loamy coastal sand and therefore our horses here are at an increased risk of developing sand colic. So as any well intentioned person with advice from a veterinarian, I gave sand clear. Henry has had 2 doses. And this morning I find him a bit sweaty even though it's 72 degrees outside, he's rolling and swishing his tail. He's still eating and drinking and looks perky and happy. So I'm just confused as to whether or not this is a self limiting condition related to the sand clear. I gave him a flake of fresh hay and he dug right into it. I guess I'm just paranoid. I don't want to push him into full blown colic with this preventative stuff if it's going to turn out not to work and do more harm than good.

2. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

No side effects for either of my horses. I bought Sand Clear after I watched my gelding eating huge mouthfuls of the cushion sand I had delivered for his loafing shed (thankfully he stopped after a few days.) I did the recommended Sand Clear dose two months in a row.

I'd watch him, but personally feel it's more likely a change in humidity, bugs, or even that winter coat starting to grow.

CarlisleChipper and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If the horse's gut had lots of sand, the sand clear sticks to it and it will get pooped out. That's the idea. There are no side effects, but if he's full of sand and it's balled up somewhere, that could be making him colicy.

Hay, free choice, is said to be effective in removing sand, just as well as sand clear or psyllium is.

Just keep an eye on him. If he gets colicy again, I would dose him with paste banamine and call the Vet. He might be having sand colics.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

He's been on my property for 6 weeks where sand is an issue here. But he has free choice pasture as well as hay 24 7 so that's good to know! He's fine now. I didn't give him anymore sand clear today.

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  5. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

I treat my horse monthly with Sand clear for 7 days,without any issues.
    I also once in a while take fresh manure put it in a plastic bag zip lock with water.Shake it gently, let it sit upright for a while.Then I carefully drain some water with the dissolved manure and put more water in the bag.Im careful not to drain from the bottom. THE idea is that the sand will settle on the bottom of the bag,if there is any.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.