Sailor Updates

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Alyssa Hughes, May 27, 2018.

1. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

I like looking at Charlie and Katniss's update threads so I figured I'd make one for my colt. :D

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Alyssa Hughes

I gave him a bath then braided his hair so he looked picture worthy, for once! :rolleyes: Don't mind his uneven mane we are growing it out then I'll make it even. _MG_7726.JPG
    _MG_7729.JPG

manesntails, waresbear, Bebe and 5 others like this.
  3. Alyssa Hughes

Here's a throwback to last November a month after I got him. We were doing round pen work. IMG_7390.JPG

4. Alyssa Hughes

Here are a few pictures from in his small paddock. I've been reintroducing him to grass and we are up to 6 hours so I am gonna start leaving him for 12 hours. We are still working on his ribbiness... Right now he gets 2 quarts Nutrena Safe Choice Original and 1 quart oats morning and evening, grass morning to afternoon, 2 flakes of hay at night, a salt block, and PLENTY of fresh water. His abscess on his heel bulb is drained and healing up nicely! Hopefully next week we can get back to training. In the meantime we are working on standing tied, electric fences, wrapping injuries :rolleyes:, new things (animals, cars, different surfaces to walk on, baths, etc.). I can't wait to ride this unicorn! _MG_7765.JPG _MG_7781.JPG

5. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

He's two, correct?
    Personally I don't think a young horse being ribby is a bad thing. When Peanut was 3 and still growing my vet advised me to keep him a little ribby. Less weight on developing joints is a good thing-- so long as the horse is getting enough feed and nutrients. This doesn't mean thin or underweight, just intentionally keeping excess body fat to a minimum.
    Most people, in my opinion, keep their horses (and their dogs, for that matter) overweight. Ribs aren't a bad thing.

So my advice for you is this: ask your vet about his body condition and go from there.

6. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

he's a perfect weight for a youngster. and looking very pretty!

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

He's looking good under your care. I thought he was older than two though tbh..but I'm tired. Probably missed something!! A nap is in my immediate future lol.

8. Alyssa Hughes

Yep, he's 2. I plan on keeping him a little ribby. Right now he's about where I want him for weight now we are gonna work on muscle :D

9. Alyssa Hughes

10. ginster

ginster Senior Member

He is looking good. That is a great picture btw!

waresbear and Alsosusieq2 like this.