Saddles to fit small women?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by trailcreekranch, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

This is one of those women's all around / roper with 14.5" seat. A previous owner shortened the fenders at the top. It's made by Vaquero / Trophy Tack / Skyline Silver.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a 15" Circle Y ranch saddle that I no longer own. It rode larger due to no seat padding. A seat shrinker works well on this kind of tall-cantle seat, if you need to shim it up. The twist wasn't too wide on this, either. Nice saddle.
    [​IMG]

This was the 1980 Tex Tan Hereford 14" ladies / youth saddle. It had shorter fenders. And a very broad seat with wide twist.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. Tack Collector

Broken Horn's seats were always comfortable. This is a 16" show saddle padded down to 15.5" or so. It was gorgeous, but realistically I would never use it and never ride WP, so sold it. But I'm posting it to show the nice pocket and narrower twist.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is a 16" Billy Cook padded down to 15" and it was really comfortable and didn't feel too big. Tex Tan's Imperial show saddles are others with the deeper padded seats and narrow twist that fit women well
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  3. Tack Collector

This is an old Simco that I bought last fall as a project and am still working on, or not working on very much, is probably more truthful. It's a full 15" measured the modern way, but it rides like a 14 or 14.5. I had new strings and Jeremiah Watt stainless conchos put on it. I only have this as-bought pic, though. You can buy old saddles like this for $100 - $250.
    [​IMG]

4. trailcreekranch

trailcreekranch Full Member

Good idea...we do have a small tack shop not too far, but they don't offer much. The nearest large tack shop is about 4 hours from us. Probably worth the drive though! My other challenge is fitting my horse! She is a big boned, big shouldered Fox Trotter and many saddles interfere with her shoulder movement. The two of us together are rather a challenge! Many of the Fox Trotters in our area are much smaller and refined than my girl! She actually looks like a big old quarter horse!

5. trailcreekranch

trailcreekranch Full Member

Thanks for all the info! It helps me "expand" my search! I can't order something on line because my horse is also hard to fit, so I think everyone's advice is good...travel and find some good tack stores within a reasonable driving distance!

Tack Collector likes this.
  6. CJ

CJ Senior Member

I had and Arab-x warmblood that I taught western to, and he (16h) and his withers were a good size. I have and Action barrel that fit him (and me) really well, and most any other horse Ive put it on that not real petite. We showed in a friends older CIrcle Y.
    Action is an umbrella company for several other brands, but a stamped Action you may only find on consignment or craigslist anymore. Action makes Abetta but I consider them separate animals and do not like Abetta/s at all. Theres much better reputed sister-co saddles to look at, like Simco and Billy Cook.
    Sit in whatever you can get ahold of and see what you do like, gives you an idea of hat to look for, in name or style. That part imo is kind of fun.

trailcreekranch likes this.
  7. Tack Collector

National Bridle Shop has a western line designed for gaited horses. Flared bars at the front, for shoulder room. I have never seen those saddles in person. I don't know anyone who owns one. My ex's uncle had a big blocky TWH and he used a wide Wade tree on her. Like 94 degree wide. But Wades can be too broad in the seat for women, like straddling an oil drum. The lady Wade type seat would be what you need.

8. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

The Horse Saddle Shop will let you send the saddle back if it doesn't fit. I went thru like 4 before I found one to fit my gelding. I'd order one, send it back, order another....