SaddleBox/ Gift Box Idea

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by barrel_racer64, Jan 9, 2019.

?

Selling Horsey Gift/Goodie Boxes

1. Gift/goodie box is a great idea! Its the kind of thing I would buy!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Dumb idea, I would never buy one

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Cool idea, but don't think it would work

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I've been having the ads for SaddleBox pop up on my FB newsfeed for the last week or two. They are a monthly subscription "goody box" for horse people. From the pictures it looks like they usually send 8-10 smaller items like horse treats, grooming, bathing, halter/lead rope, and books and décor stuff. It costs $34.99/mo for the prescription.

SOO, my question is, what are everyone's thoughts on it? I'm not interested in buying, I'm more interested in selling. I was thinking about putting a few together and putting them for sale in my Etsy shop as kind of a "gift box" option. I sell a fair amount of bits that are going to be gifts, so I was thinking it might be a fun little option to go with the bits. Think it would be worth putting a couple boxes together and see how they do? Dumb idea?

Also looking for ideas of specific stuff to put in them. Horse treats, hoof picks, horsey books, halters, lead ropes, brushes, etc.

2. sherian

sherian Senior Member

maybe do it at christmas time? I can see someone not horsey buying it as a gift, but horse people are pretty picky, so hard to get a combination that suits a lot of people without it looking like a canned "beginner package"..

3. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

They are too expensive imho.

manesntails likes this.
  4. barrel_racer64

One of the "concerns" I have.

Another of the "concerns" I have. I'd keep the price as low as possible while still making it worth my time to offer them.

So far, its looking like it probably wouldn't be worth my time to worry about.

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

To make it worth your time you’d need to get wholesale prices on things.

I’m not a fan of them, but that’s b/c I’m way to picky. But I’ve done bonnets for one, so I know people do buy them. They just need to be a “good deal” so to speak for someone to subscribe.

6. barrel_racer64

Yeah, its definitely no different than any other good business plan. I think I've talked myself out of worrying about it, but wanted to get some input to bring me back to my senses:rofl::rofl:

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I only like surprises that I do not have to pay for, so, no, I wouldn't ever buy one.

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I think it might be a nice addition to your etsy shop, year-round. Because there are always those looking for birthday gifts for the horsey people they know. They do not have a clue what to get, exactly but want it to be a surprise so a box like this might be right up their alley...
    I would look for something that has a lower price point (hoof pick, lead rope, maybe a brush, some treats) and can be shipped at low cost..this could look to be geared towards beginners but everyone involved with horses has use for another hoof pick or lead rope, right?

9. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I wouldn't typically buy one because they usually have cheaper stuff in them, and things I don't need. If you could somehow figure out a way to construct them with unique things but also for a "good" price I think that would be ideal (even if that is more pricey than other subscriptions, but to get quality and unique things in the box). It still needs to feel like a good deal for the buyer though, which is hard to do if you are not putting cheap stuff in them.

10. DelP

DelP Senior Member

Unique horsey things and consumables are the way to go. I have two hoof picks that are amazing and everyone loves. One is the old Grooma 3in1 that Grooma no longer makes but I found cheap knockoffs on Amazon. It has a big flat edge that is perfect for scraping mud and ice off a hoof. Every barn I ever boarded at it was stolen and I had to replace it.

My other hoof pick has an LED in it that points at the hoof while picking. Very useful in winter when I didn’t have lights.

Small containers of leather cleaner and conditioner are always useful because every horse person needs it and even if they already have some since it is a consumable they will need more. I believe Unicorn Leather (an old member here). Had recipes on their website to make cleaner and conditioner.