Saddle slips forward!?!?!

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by PNHPlatinum, Mar 13, 2008.

1. PNHPlatinum

PNHPlatinum Senior Member+

Indy's got a tummy on him, and Well the way it's shaped it's round, so the cinch always slip's forward, that's problem number one, it end's up hitting his leg, and look uncomfy! Then the saddle, this has always been a problem with him. It's a great fitting saddle on him if in the right spot... But with the cinch the saddle slips forward, making it not fit him corectly and also it then rides on his shoulder. I can't ride him long and I have to fix the saddle. And He blows when doing the cinch up so when I walk him out the saddle slips forward!! It's annoying and I want to show him, and it will be with this saddle, I don't want to have to constantly fix it all the time!:no:
    I should Say this is a western saddle, the eglish hasn't done this on him.

If you have any experiance with this please tell me!

2. Magvns

Magvns Senior Member+

3. buck1173

buck1173 Senior Member+

western saddle... what kind of girth are you using? tried a roping girth? very stable wide diamond shape in the belly... I personally love mohair.

does your saddle have a back girth? that might help too.

4. Dusty1979

Dusty1979 Senior Member+

The cinch will always try to "go home" - the girth area. You may need a full position rigging - the cinch ring is directly below the fork (swells) of the saddle.

If you are using a 7/8 or 3/4 position, the girth is placed further back than your horse's conformation (slope of shoulder) will allow. This is pulling the saddle forward when the cinch "goes home" to the spot it wants to ride at.

When saddling, always cinch up slowly. Horses don't "blow up" to be difficult. It is a nervous reaction to being cinched up too quickly. Give your horse a chance to settle in between tightening the girth. He may never completely quit doing this, but it may help some. Hand walk him some, then tighten a little more.

Checking the adjustment of your tack often during a ride is something that needs to be done to ensure your safety.

5. luvs2ride79

luvs2ride79 Senior Member+

My Abetta Endurance did that (it was center fire rigging). I took it to a saddle repair shop and had them move the rigging forward. Worked like a charm! It only cost me $35 to have it done.

6. PNHPlatinum

When saddling the cinch is alway done up 3-4 times, too give lots of time for him to relax and not feel confined to it, inbetween each cinching I walk up and down the long drive way, at a walk the first 2 time and the 3 and possibly 4 I will trot.
    I've though about the rigging on it, that is just probably isn't right for him, but I forgot bout that untill now!

7. PNHPlatinum

what type of cinch do I have? haha I believe it's a neoprem(sp?) I would use the mohair one I have but it's too big for him and at the tighest it would still be loose on him.

8. luttrellfarms

luttrellfarms Senior Member

L & R Farms

I would consider a couple of things. You might try a rear girth, a non-slip girth or a non-slip pad. These things work. We use them. Also, if you are riding on a thick pad will contribute to this problem. If you are intersed in any of these items take a look at: www.angelfire.com/trek/landrfarms

9. PNHPlatinum

his pads eithe 1/2- 3/4 inch thick, I don't have it here so I don't know exact. A rear grith I believe can't be used in performance classes, so that would be a problem.

10. PNHPlatinum

What's a good non slip pad and girth??