1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Saddle for flat backed, no withered horse

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by foureyed_dragon, Jul 14, 2011.

1. EventerNic6187

EventerNic6187 Senior Member+

LOVE Duetts. Very comfy, reasonably priced, and can be had VERY wide. I saw one in a shop that had a 42 cm tree!

2. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

LOVE that mare you are looking at! As you know, I have a Propane Tank with Legs for a horse :)

I've been happily using my XW Bates Caprilli Close Contact for years, but technically - it is a touch too narrow in front. It is definitely an A-frame shaped gullet, compared to a U/Hoop tree. BUT - the nice thing is that it is really nicely fitted for her everywhere else. It's flat/straight (compared to curvy/scoopy) and the rear panels are very flat/wide-angled.

I actually LOVE my XW Bates Caprilli Close Contact, but I've been looking to see if I can get it in XXW :)

However, as others have said - these saddles are excellent for this type of horse:
    - Black Country QuantumX (freedom hoop tree)
    - County Innovation (CRAZY WIDE - wider than any other model of County)
    - Duett (hoop tree and very wide with super wide gullet, but the rear panels are a bit angled for my mare and I didn't like the saddle much. I tried a 36cm) Lots of folks LOVE them though and they can be very comfy for the bigguns
    - Albion - yes, the XW Albions are good for these shaped horses
    - Lovatt & Ricketts for sure! (hoop tree models)
    - Prestige in 36, 37cm can be widened to 38 or 39cm....those may have a touch more curve to the saddle, but hear they are GREAT
    - Killington (Trumbull Mtn carries them....they are super crazy wide)

Most French saddles won't work. Most English saddles are better for these wide types.

Good luck!

I'm trialing the following saddles this week:

- XW County InnovationXTR
    - W County Innovation XTR
    - XW County Stabilizer
    - XW Black Country QuantumX

Also, a famous saddle-fitter from England - that comes here regularly, is coming out and he actually thinks he could tweak/adjust my current Bates to be a little roomier for her shoulders. We'll see. I've already fallen in love with the County InnovationXTR that I found though...ehehheheee

3. foureyed_dragon

foureyed_dragon Senior Member

Ah, well at least I had the saddle name right!

I LOVE this mare too, I hope she gets the green light from my trainer. She's the kind of horse that my grandpa loved, a leg at each corner!

My toulouse is a wide, and could be made into an extra wide, and would probably fit her while she is uneven. As soon as she evens out though I am going to have to get something that will fit a flat, flat, flat back. Her having no withers kind of scares me though, I all ready have a mounting phobia!

Has anybody tried the toulouse dressage on their flat backed horse? It comes in an extra wide and I have heard has a flatter fit than the toulouse CC and AP saddles.

I really like the Albion SLK, it is super, super comfy. There were a couple wide ones up at my local tack shop for under $1000...wonder if they are still there.

This girl will for sure need a hoop tree me thinks.

4. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

I don't really think the Toulouse are good for the Propane Tank shaped horses. Even in XW.

You'll need something that "wraps around them more", so the panels come down on either side of thier spine - which means you need a very open gullet and channel (wide)

And yes, you need a flat flat shape (front to back) as well as across the (side to side needs to be wide/flat both front and rear...don't forget rear panel shape!)

Here is my mare in the 36cm DUETT ALLEGRO from the rear. You can see how, oddly, the back panels are very angular...not flat enough across her back:

[​IMG]

And see how the Bates XW Caprilli Close contact actually IS nice and flat, from behind:
    [​IMG]

The Albions are great. There is an awesome K2 on eBay in WIDE for a song. But I think you'll need XW. I would scoop up an XW if I found one ;)

5. foureyed_dragon

6. horsefeathers.0

horsefeathers.0 Senior Member

I'd love to know a bit more about the XW Toulouse dressage saddles.... I guess i just assumed that all toulouse saddles were curvy? My boy is nowhere near propane tank/hippo status, but he does have a very flat back. A bit of a wither (normal, I'd say) with wide shoulders. I LOVED my Toulouse CC that I had, but it was just too narrow and slightly too curvy. I'm wondering about the Toulouse dressage saddles...

7. kiirsten.may

kiirsten.may Full Member

I would recommend a saddle with rear gussets - Bates, Wintec, HDR, Anky and Collegiate are some affordable brands that often have rear-gussetted panels.

You could also try using a cut-away girth - those ones that are contoured to avoid irritating the horse's armpit ;) My local saddle fitter says those girths do not "walk" forward or back.

Prolite also makes a thin, non-slip pad that you stick under your regular pad to avoid slippage. I haven't used this particular pad myself, but I have used other Prolite products and they always achieve what they promise.

8. Roleysnewmom

Roleysnewmom Senior Member

I've been successfully using a wintec cc in the extra wide gullet for honey who is pretty wide, but VERY flat. I love how flat the back panels are, you'll find all the wintecs, bates, and collegite back panels are generally nice and flat. I DO wish the tree wasn't so a-lined though. I'd love a duett, but can't afford ANOTHER saddle ATM. I do experience mouting slippage, it's kind of inavoidable with a no-withers, wide, flat horse. But I 99% of the time mount from a block so I dont have issues.

9. foureyed_dragon

There is nothing easy about those easy change gullets though! I had a heck of a time going from medium wide to medium. Took me forever! And I never did get half the screws back in. :rolleyes:

10. foureyed_dragon

Contact Classic Saddlery: http://www.classicsaddlery.com/ they know everything there is to know about toulouse saddles.