Saddle for flat backed, no withered horse

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by foureyed_dragon, Jul 14, 2011.

1. foureyed_dragon

foureyed_dragon Senior Member+

I've never had to consider english saddles for flat backed horses that have no withers. :rolleyes: All my horses have always been shark finned!

What do people use on their flat backed horses? Also, for horses with no withers, is saddle slippage while mounting an issue?

2. Venus

Venus Senior Member

I used a Duett on my perch cross, she was pretty mutton withered ("no withers"). I usually mounted from a block, but even while mounted the saddle could shift a bit from side to side - best fix I found for that was a thinline pad.

Comfiest horse to ride bareback though!

3. calypsoscarnivl

calypsoscarnivl Senior Member+

Saddle slippage will be an issue even with a properly fitting saddle depening on how flat backed your horse is. My mare is shaped like a VW bus and we have some trouble. I use a Thinline pad which cuts down on the slipping A LOT!

There are a lot of nice saddles designed for the fuller horse. Wintec, Duett, some Thornhills, some Smith - Worthingtons, Thorowgood, Lovatt and Ricketts, Black Country are just a few to start.

Abberlaze likes this.
  4. RocketMan

RocketMan Senior Member

exactly what Venus said!

5. foureyed_dragon

I am going to look at this mare again sunday, so everything is up in the air right now, but I know for sure my current saddle (marcel toulouse) will likely be too curvy for her should she get the green light.

I was looking at wintec wides, and didn't like that they were only in the AP model, the AP puts me in a terrible chair seat. I am eyeing a couple of albions on ebay that are extra wide and under $1000. I have heard mixed reactions about Thornhill's quality...?

6. Venus

Venus Senior Member

I'm selling my 17.5 Duett Allegro for $500 CAD, plus shipping. The tree is a 36 (I own a TB now, so really don't need it anymore!)

7. calypsoscarnivl

An Albion might work, I have friends with wide horses that have had good luck with them, but they would never fit my horse in a million years

Some THornhills are nicer than others. Also, some models fit much wider than others. I know the Berlins fit wider than the Germanias. Again, they were all much too narrow for my horse.

8. RocketMan

RocketMan Senior Member

ive heard wintec wides arent even that wide

9. foureyed_dragon

oooh, oh, oh! Pictures?!

10. calypsoscarnivl

I actually have a WIntec WIde (one of my many saddles..I am a little obsessed:p) and it is pretty wide....