Saddle Fitter is Coming Out Today

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by CarlisleChipper, Mar 4, 2019.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

BD7E6D17-1EE5-4D1A-BE96-310F1606A329.jpeg A5C8242B-1277-4330-8C4C-BCEAD1E33341.jpeg 40F4D30F-BAB6-4204-A62B-31BD770EC286.jpeg 8D187DC3-C270-4BED-B6F7-9FE85FE4138E.jpeg
    This is where it pinches him.

06AFC01E-DEF7-4FF2-A136-F705553CF54F.jpeg
    This left side my hand slides easily here.

2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Yeah know, I actually don’t hate it. Yeah you don’t have enough wither clearance, and yes it’s leaving his back too quickly, but I have to guess both of those things are d/t the channel being too narrow in the middle only, as it looks wide enough in the rear view photos. If you were close to me, and you loved the saddle, I’d say convert the thing to wool & widen the channel. Lol

In regards to the shoulder, in a wool flocked panel, I would make a little “dent” in the panel so allow the shoulder the space that is needed so it wouldn’t bother him.

Have you seen the thing floating around facebook that talks about larger & higher shoulders?? It’s all about how the wither/spine is suspended in the the muscles sling. That said, the feet come into play here too & some horses are never going to be even.....

NaeNae likes this.
  3. CarlisleChipper

Yes that right shoulder has the foot with the negative 5 degree palmar angle. Both feet have 2 degree wedge pads but now the left foot needs to be a 1 degree because it’s too upright now. But that makes sense to unflock it at that point on the shoulder.

4. CarlisleChipper

That is a brilliant idea about unflocking at that point on his shoulder. Straight genius!

I am not too keen on keeping the saddle enough for me to pay to have it converted and widened. I could stand to move up to a 17 inch. I also feel like the saddle is prohibitive of my lower leg staying at the girth over jumps because no matter how hard I try to leave it there it just won’t stay. I’ve also had the stirrup leather completely come off over a jump because of it and that was a really really bad fall. I’m not trying to blame the saddle for my rider position, I just want to see if there is something out there that can help me with it more.

5. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Not helpful or anything, just chiming in to say that I love how well you know your horse. Inside and out.
    That is all, carry on! :D

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  6. CarlisleChipper

Aww thank you that really means a lot to me.

~tiffy~ likes this.
  7. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Just wanted to chime in and say, super interesting. I didn't know that was a thing that could be done, adjusting in the panels to allow a bit more shoulder space. You learn something every day!