Saddle Fitter is Coming Out Today

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by CarlisleChipper, Mar 4, 2019.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

In my quest to find out more info about what exactly “strip reflocking” is, I found this helpful thread here.

Saddle reflocking questions

I have 2 saddles over 10 years old in excellent gently used condition. (Well I’ve only ever owned 2 horses, so hardly used for how long I’ve owned them).

Both are wool flocked. I’ve NEVER had them adjusted. Ok wait. I did recently change the gullet in my collegiate dressage saddle and now it has awesome wither clearance than I’m happy with. I don’t use half pads anymore. Just a standard saddle pad. So I’m anticipating that the fit is at least decent. But I’m 75% ignorant on saddle fitting in general. I’m hoping they don’t suggest an entire strip reflocking because it is $$$. Henry only has little dry spots about a hand down from his wither a couple inches long. He’s lovely under saddle.

Yeah I’m posting this at 4am because I work nights and his appointment is at 130pm today and It takes 30 minutes to trailer to the barn. Oh the things we do for our horses right??
    Leave me some bits of advice before appointment time please. This is a seller for Bliss Saddlery of London and saddle fitter that the barn is bringing in. I know it is best to use an independent fitter but that’s not what is available right now. I’m really easy to sell to. I hope she doesn’t try! My arena cost is already outrageous for us! Haha. My husband would kill me.

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I ride in an older Stubben dressage saddle. I have the fitter out about once a year to double check fit and fluff up the flocking if needed. He has never suggested a full strip and reflock - if he did, I would do it because I trust him implicitly. He has never tried to fleece me (pun intended).

My suggestions - ask questions. Most important - what do I want to look for in regards to saddle fit? (It's more than just sweat patterns - my guy has given me some great tips on checking for fit and because I had so many issues with Bella when I first got her (she changed shape weekly it seemed), I obsessively check fit every time I ride)

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Knowing when a full reflock is needed:
    -if you run your hands down the panels and they feel lumpy or hard or both
    -if the shape of the rear of the panels does not match your horse. This is assuming the shape of the panel would allow for it to be changed to match your horse (not going to happen on a Bates/collegiate as the leather is to stiff/tough to do much change)
    -there is just so much “spot” work required to make it fit, it’s just plain easier and less hassle for your fitter to take it home and reflock it, instead of spending hours dinking around with it.
    -the panels look like over stuffed sausages

Other than that, at a fitting they should be taking tracings, measurements and showing you what fits, what doesn’t. They should watch you ride as well. If tracings are not done & they do not watch you ride (assuming they deam the saddle(s) fit) don’t go back. You did not get your moneys worth. As I always say “a saddle that only fits the horse while standing in the aisle is good for no one”

doublelranch likes this.
  4. CarlisleChipper

Thank you for the advice! Just woke up and about to get ready so I’ll bring my riding clothes with me.

5. CarlisleChipper

Ugh that was NOT the experience I was hoping for. My appointment was at 130 so we arrived on time. Didn’t get seen until 215 and I have to leave at 3 to get my kids off the school bus. Our time slots were an hour each. Unfortunately she spent less than 15 minutes on me because everyone else was trying demo saddles and so therefore people that weren’t buying saddles obviously weren’t given priority. She said my dressage saddle fits him but it’s long because he has a short rib cage but so long as I don’t put pressure on the far back part of the saddle it’s fine. Then my Pessoa didn’t fit him AT ALL. Way narrow through the back, can’t slide my hand under without getting pinched. So she offers for me to try this cavaletti saddle. Worst saddle I’ve ever seen in my life. Nothing close contact about it at all. Over stuffed couch. Went through 5 different girths and the leathers were so short and stiff I couldn’t even tighten the girth up! Not only that but the girth elastics laid over the calf blocks?! I felt a million miles away from Henry’s back and probably would have had the saddle completely fall off due to the girth situation I just hopped right off and said forget it. I had to leave in 5 minutes and here all my stuff is out and I need to get my things back on the trailer. It was a complete cluster ——. I’m so disappointed. Like literally after all that had happened this last week this was the straw that broke the camels back. Legit tears on the way home. I know pathetic right? My dressage saddle will be reflocked. Which I had to leave there because I had to go! I just cannot EVEN right now.
    Sorry for the rant. I’ve had a difficult week.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

That really sucks..tears not pathetic in that situation at all more a safety valve

7. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

Darn. I was hoping for a good experience

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

That sucks that it was such a bad experience, my first saddle fitter experience sucked too. Bella was not happy with how the saddle was flocked after the fitter adjusted it and she refused to go forward and then reared (first and only time she ever reared) when I kept asking (mostly because the fitter insisted, i could feel something was wrong). I expressed concerns that it was caused by the saddle and she was adamant that she just needed a dental :mad:(Which it had only been 6 months since her last one). I ended up never using that saddle again.
    The fitter I used last time was fantastic, she listened to all my concerns and make me feel pressured to do more then I was comfortable with.

I would have been in tears too, I was after my first saddle fitter appt went so bad. It sucks to spend so much money and not get out what you were hoping to.

Alsosusieq2 and CarlisleChipper like this.
  9. CarlisleChipper

Indeed. $150 bucks for a headache!! Who even knows how my dressage saddle is. Guess I’ll find out!

10. CarlisleChipper

With all this being said. She said Pessoa saddles in general won’t fit Henry. The collegiate does. Should I look for a collegiate close contact saddle? I could probably get $800 for my Pessoa. And collegiate is in the same price range. I definitely don’t want a Bliss saddle that’s for sure

Alsosusieq2 likes this.