Saddle fit: Bates and Thorowgood *Pics*

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by DressageHaffie, Feb 21, 2012.

1. DressageHaffie

DressageHaffie Senior Member

I took 2 saddles on trial. The first one is a 17" Bates Elevation. I was supposed to pick up a Caprilli but they gave me the Elevation instead and by the time she got done putting the XW gullet in for me and I realized it was the wrong saddle I just wanted to get home so I figured I'd try it. Here are pics (note: it is a brand new saddle so may appear stiff, etc.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17" Thorowgood T6 GP with XW Gullet (I did not like the fit of this one...the panels in the back seemed too curvey and it rocked a little on her back) and please excuse her shedding...I brush her I swear lol:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WisconsinEclipse

WisconsinEclipse Senior Member

I like the first one better, but I'm no expert! :p

3. crayon

crayon Senior Member

The Bates is FAR too narrow. A "no" right away. The side view of the TG isn't that great because I can't tell how well it matches the horse's topline, but it's a much wider saddle and a better fit in general. I think it would probably be worth trying the widest gullet TG offers (I believe they have an XXW?) Then again, I don't like how the angle of the TG's panels is too sharp for your hrose's back. To be honest... the Thorowgood may be workable, but neither of these saddles really looks ideal to me. :eek:

4. DressageHaffie

Crayon that's what my opinion is too...neither are suitable. However, I am wondering this:
    Would a Bates Caprilli fit better/different then this Elevation?? Another member on here has a horse with a similar build to my mare and her mare (Fancy) was ridden in a Bates Caprilli with the XW gullet. I'm thinking I need to try a Caprilli...

5. dream2jump

dream2jump Senior Member

I can't see a Wintec or Bates working. Your horse needs a tree with more of a hoop (upside down U) shape.

6. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Which Thorowgood fit was it? Was it the Cob fit or one of the other ones?

7. crayon

crayon Senior Member

Woopsie, double post!

8. crayon

crayon Senior Member

A Bates Caprilli wouldn't fit better unfortunately because it only gets as wide as the elevation. I actually think it would fit worse because IME, the Caprillis are curvier than the Elevations. Your horse has a very short, flat back.

9. Javanewt

Javanewt Senior Member+

Next time, girth them up so we can get a better idea of fit.

The first is definitely too narrow. I had a Bates Caprilli XW and it wasn't wide enough for my slightly wide horse -- they do tend to run narrow.

The second looks as if the back fits funny, but tough to tell.

My friend with a Haflinger uses a Jeffries monoflap, but I've never been able to look at it to see if it actually fits the horse.

10. DressageHaffie

I agree, she does need more of a U hoop.

This was the T6 GP with XW gullet.

Oh I didn't know the Caprillis ran even more curvier, thanks for letting me know!

Okay I will definitely get shots with the girth on the next saddle I try. Thanks for letting me know about the Bates! Your right, the Thorowgood did fit weird on her back. It rocked back and forth and the panels were too curvy for her. Maybe I will look around and check out some Jeffries and see if I can find one to take on trial.