Sacroiliac Injury

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Twistedbeauty, May 7, 2018.

1. Twistedbeauty

Twistedbeauty Full Member

Being newer to horse ownership and all, I really failed to look into this earlier but these look like a sacroiliac injury of some sort. I'm disappointed that the seller (a reputable nice lady) knew I was a young beginner and failed to notify me about something like this, but I've surely learned from experience and mistakes in the past. Should I have a vet see my horse? I just wanted some other opinions. She doesn't seem to be in pain and happily bucks, canters, jumps, whatever horses usually do in the pastures. She's from the Amish so I don't have a background on her. I only trail ride so it's mainly walk and little trot. She has no problem getting around, shows no reaction to pressure in that area, but she does place her left hind hoof slightly inward.
    Buying an Ex-Racehorse: Can You Spot the Major Physical Issues? - The Horse's Back Referencing off of this article, it really seems like she did have an injury with all of the symptoms and photos. Does anyone else have experience with this, are there ways to correct it or perhaps relieve it if there's pain?
    IMG_6869.JPG IMG_7110.JPG IMG_7112.JPG

Attached Files:

2. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

So a few things stick out.

Your horse looks uncomfortable. She has the uneveness in her SI area, and she has something going on in her loin (lumbar vertebral ) She also stands uncomfortably. Feet under her by quite a bit.

Have you had your saddle checked by a saddle fitter? I see some areas of concern, and believe the lumbar issues could definitely be related if not worsened by your saddle. Is an equine body worker or chiropractor an option for you as well? There is a lot you can do to help make her more comfortable.

Rhythm 'n Blues and gaitedboomer like this.
  3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Sorry that the seller wasn´t truthful about the injury. Her stance is a tell-tale sign of her being uncomfortable/in pain.
    Did you have her vet-checked since you bought her? That would be my first call. Get the vet out and get the area x-rayed. After the diagnosis, a chiro and/or massage therapist might be beneficial for her well-being.
    The vet will tell you what to do in terms of rehab.
    Defintely have your saddle checked. The white hairs on her wither are a tell-tale sign for saddle sores in the past.
    I would stop riding her until the vet was out. Just turnout so she can move as much as she´s comfortable with.

gaitedboomer likes this.
  4. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

image.jpg Ditto the previous posters --- have a vet look at her, get that x-rayed, and find a high caliber chiropractor.

This is one of my horses -- he has a fractured sacrum --- he got it by catapulting himself backward out of my stock trailer, in 2007, landing hard on his rump with his back legs under the trailer and his front legs in the trailer. He was 11 at the time. The lump is a lot bigger than it appears in this picture but it's had 11 years to build.

He has always seen a chiro --- 2-4 times yearly but these last few years, he sees one every month. The poor guy is a train wreck thanks to some other injuries, insulin resistance and founder.

He will be 22 this August. He would be rideable for low level trail riding if the arthritis & inflammation buildup in the sacrum area were all I had to deal with.

There are a lot of products on the market to help keep the horse comfortable ---- massage equipment Back on Track stuff. What my horse likes the best is pouring down rain. I have had him on 99% pure hylouronic acid but switched him to EquiThrive Joint.. That is something you need to discuss with the vet. Do NOT plan on putting the horse on Previcox as a permanent fix, unless you want to eventually deal with ulcers.

The vet sees him at least once a year.

He rarely stands square but in this pic he really looks off because he was grazing, ready to move, when the neighbors baby goats made an appearance and were baaaaa-ing:)

That sacrum injury will never go away. If it is something you are not prepared to deal with financially and mentally, sell the horse right now and next time get a PPE on the horse when you find one:)

I took this foto Monday, after his first Spring bath -- this is one of those pictures that forces me to see what I don't want to see. To reiterate, this horse hurt himself when he was 11 and will soon be 22. While the sacrum issue has not been as expensive as his other health issues to deal with, it has hindered his ability to be even an intermediate level trail horse. He would be able to hack easy, groomed trails for a couple hours but that's about it.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    ginster likes this.
  5. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

Find a good equine chiropractor in your area. They can do wonders. I speak from a lot of experience with problems such as yours.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I would also evaluate the job your farrier is doing. While the 1 photo isn't the best to go off of, I do see some issues there as well, which IS going to affect the entire stance of the horse.

Everything else mentioned above is spot on as well.

Alsosusieq2, ginster and gaitedboomer like this.
  7. Twistedbeauty

Twistedbeauty Full Member

The picture with her feet very close together was just a bad timed picture in general, she doesn't always stand like that but all of the replies were incredibly helpful. I did contact a few chiropractors as well as some saddle fitters too. I haven't ridden her all winter and she's only had two short rides since. Thanks everyone for the information ☺️

Alsosusieq2, gaitedboomer and ginster like this.
  8. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Hopefully next time you'll show us photos of her in her best light. It's critical to capture typical stance in a lameness related thread. Anything else can be misleading. :)

Alsosusieq2 and Twistedbeauty like this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

What the heck are the rest of you talking about?

The horse is sickle hocked. It has a long back, short hip to point of butt. It is not in pain, if the owner can PUSH on the lump on it's spine WITHOUT any reaction.

She trail rides, walk/trot.

Girly, you got no issue here. Get a better farrier, though because with the long pasterns and not very good trim, you stress the horse's suspensory ligaments.

And, really, there is nothing for the old owner to have allerted you to. That bump happened, I'd wager, a decade ago. It has long since healed and is like it is.

You're not thinking about competing in eventing, jumping competitions, barrel racing for a living, or joining the Olympic team with her. For walk trot on trail, you are not going to be aggravating that old, totally healed, injury.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Twistedbeauty likes this.
  10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I sort of agree here.... tho, I would still have her chiro'd and massaged.... but I do that for EVERY horse. Idc if it's a trail horse, a barrel horse or a show jumper..... if it's mine, it's getting regular work. Probably why I can old afford 1 horse... they get a lot of care.

GotaDunQH and Twistedbeauty like this.