Sabino vs. Splash vs. DW

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by raisethebar, Oct 13, 2011.

1. raisethebar

raisethebar Senior Member

I feel like i'm still struggling to determine the difference, primarily between Splash & DW, and i'm probably not the only one on HGS. What are characteristics to look for? Can someone provide some visual eye-candy and do their best to take a stab at explaining the difference?

Thanks in advance :D

2. RyaneC

RyaneC Senior Member+

To ME, dominant white it more "splotchy" usually, and splash has more defined edges. (Not always on the dominant white though, but those are pretty easy to pick out.) Also what I'VE seen is DW seems to leave colored eyes, and color around the eyes.

Dominant white:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Splash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TangleroseRanch

TangleroseRanch Senior Member

I would have called the top two sabino, so what makes the difference?

4. greenpaintpony

greenpaintpony Senior Member

I'm still not so good at DW/Sabino, but I think I can help with DW and splash.

Splash's white is much more rounded, with cleaner edges. Face white is bottom heavy and likes to slide off to one side, while leg white likes to have nice, flat tops.

Splash:
    [​IMG]
    Note his high, very clean-topped leg white? Also, his white face is very typical splash, as is the white-bottomed tail.

[​IMG]
    Again, see the similarities in these horses' markings?

[​IMG]
    This mare is splash and sabino. Note how the sabino has 'roughed up' her white a bit (points on the insides of her hind legs, etc), but is still clearly different from the white of the horses below? Her stockings are fairly even, her blaze is SUPER bottom heavy, and she even has a core of white in her tail.

DW, on the other hand, is a much messier white. It likes to be jagged and a tad rough around the edges, and also does much more traveling up the horses body.

DW:
    [​IMG]
    See how jaggedy and roany his white is? Very typical of DW, as is the way it travels up his body.

[​IMG]
    Less white, and compare this to the above splash horses. See the difference in the way the white moves, and the edges?

[​IMG]
    Last one, and the least white. Notice how it still follows the patterns of the other two DW horses? Also, notice how less even the white is when compared to splash horses.

I hope some of this helped! I'm working on white patterns too. *sigh* What are horses so darn complicated?! :p

5. Acornicus

Acornicus Senior Member

So hang on, how scruffy can sabino make splash? Because my gelding has a major roany blur thing going on down his face and rough bits at the tops of his leg white but now from those pictures of the dominant white horses I'm starting to wonder!

[​IMG]

Sorry raisethebar, not trying to hijack the thread, I'm just as confused as the rest of you! I liked the good ole' days when my horse was just a bay with a white sock... and I didn't know it was anything more... lol JK colouring is fascinating, I love these threads :D

1 person likes this.
  6. raisethebar

It's all starting to make sense now!

PS - Post all the questions you like :D

7. raisethebar

So, here are all the pictures of my two horses i've managed to put together. I've always considered my mare (the bay) a "minimal sabino", as her socks are very jagged, although pictures don't do it justice, and she has a small oddly shaped star. My colt on the other hand, baffles me, but if I had to take a wild guess, I would lean towards ........ god, I don't even know, lol. His socks are quite jagged and on most legs he has spots travelling upwards, a belly spot, a big blanket, shoulder patches, and a slightly 'roaned' face, yet around his eyes aren't roaned. Anyway, i'm over 1,000 miles away from them so pictures that I have on my FB account will have to suffice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Her legs were all muddy, but you can kind of see how jagged it is..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The roaning on his face is ever-so-slight, but here you can sort of see where his blaze kind of goes into a roany-patch on one side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one just for the sake of being cute... :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    when we went through his 'rough stage'..don't judge :p
    [​IMG]
    This one shows his RF fairly well.. it isn't 'consistent' anywhere, the entire leg is spotted basically, right up to his chest. You can see the few spots on the inside of his forearm here.
    [​IMG]
    This one shows his dorsal stripe..
    [​IMG]

The rest are old, but these are the best I have of his legs right now. Both RF and RH have a few speckles on the inside of the leg, up to his chest/wazoo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before I left my beloved babies, I took some quite nice pictures of Kidd, and particularly of his various markings.... alas, I had to order a new camera cord as I lost mine, so I probably won't get to upload them until the end of the month/early November.

8. RyaneC

RyaneC Senior Member+

Well, for one thing, they're both quarter horses! Both parents were "solid" in the QH sense, white marking were limited to leg white and face white.

9. GingersMum

GingersMum Senior Member

So quick question is BCTC Splash or DW? Or splash with sabino? I thought before hand he was splash but he has white that is not level and moves up his legs. Sooo
    [​IMG]

10. greenpaintpony

greenpaintpony Senior Member

^Splash and sabino, IMO. See how even his leg white is? And look at the flat top on the LF (and RH?). My guess is sabino gives him the points on his leg white, and contributes to the chin white, as well. His blaze is pretty typical splash.