1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

S hackamore?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by DesyLovesHorses, Jan 12, 2017.

1. DesyLovesHorses

DesyLovesHorses Registered

So today i went out and bpught this S hackamore : Zilco (NZ) - "S" Hackamore - Stainless Steel
    I have a mare who works well in a normal sidepull bitless bridle but i wanted something with a little more 'turn' for jumping. Shes fairly sensitive and the description made me feel like this was a good choice, however, ive seen several bad reviews about little s havkamore being harsh or being unsuitable for working in a frame. Is this true? Would I be better pff woth the english hackamore? A little afraid to try hackamores now after everything ive heard

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I personally would not use a barrel horse bit on a jumping horse.

Arem likes this.
  3. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Why not just a regular old snaffle?

Arem, NBChoice and Mayelix like this.
  4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

That's a knock off. The little s hack is made by Reinsman. I use this on my horses when I trail ride. I used to run my mare in it also.

I would probably go to an english hack for jumping.

5. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I had a little S hack. One of my mares (who is picky about bits) loved it, but she didn't have any semblance of WHOA with it. It was a good little piece of equipment that I used while I tried to figure out her bit situation. She now goes in a Jr Cow Horse bit with a chain mouth piece because it conforms nicely to the shape of her mouth. My other mare absolutely despised the entire idea of a hackamore and would toss and shake her head the moment it was put on her. She goes in a mullen mouth bit and is quiet as a lamb.

6. Kendra-Dressage

Kendra-Dressage Full Member

It's certainly mild as far as hackamores go. There's less leverage than an English hackamore. However I've never seen one ride with a consistent contact on the hack as you would for most English disciplines. I've seen them ridden mostly for barrel racing or trail/endurance riding where one can neck rein mostly and pick up the reins only when necessary.

7. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Use leverage bits and contraptions only if you can steer/control speed by seat, weight and legs.

Use a leverage contraption for jumping only if you can be certain to stay out of the horses face even if something goes wrong.

Then there shouldn't be a problem jumping a horse in a leverage hackamore. The leverage is relatively short, so it's a fairly mild one compared to the normal mechanical hackamores.

I would borrow one to try it out if it suits you before buying.