Royal. Barrel horse or babysitter?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Mirage, Apr 17, 2017.

1. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Nice. Get him a grab strap to help him out instead of death grip. What a nice pair. It's worth gold to have a horse like that.

2. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

I didn't think of a grab strap. Thanks.

3. GONE ROPING

GONE ROPING Full Member

I love Bandera! We ride up there too! Royal sounds like a total gem!!!(y)

4. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Ahh! I just realized your in Texas. I didn't think anyone on this forum was close to me.
    It would be funny if we had crossed paths before.
    Bandera is awesome. I really want to do some of the harder trails, but the kids can't do it, even though the horses can. And my dad's horse can't do it even though my dad wants to. :(

GONE ROPING likes this.
  5. GONE ROPING

GONE ROPING Full Member

I'm not living in Texas at the moment, but I will move back in the fall... I'm freezing half to death in Alberta... :bawling:

I want to do the harder trails also! My mare would love it.. Sounds like we need to get together sometime
    ;)

Mirage likes this.
  6. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

That would be fun!

GONE ROPING likes this.
  7. BroadaxJuniorMint

BroadaxJuniorMint Full Member

I very much prefer a clam horse that can be lively under the right circumstances. While they are rare it is possible to a good barrel horse who is also a kid sitter. My family has had a few. We've also had the other kind of barrel horse. I also prefer a barrel horse that wants to do it and doesn't act up going into or out of the ring. I'll sacrifice time to keep my horse under control. I'm not judging anyone else's style just say what I like. :)

Mirage likes this.
  8. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Oh yes. I will take a calm horse that needs a little push to go over a fire breathing dragon any day.
    I have never had a horse that was only a barrel horse. They have always been trail horses too. I need something that can be calm and pay attention. Bandera would be a nightmare with a nutty horse. Mirage wasn't even all that bad and she almost fell on her face a couple times before figuring out to slow. down. Lol

9. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

That's how my old ex WP horse is. Started as my show pony (she's just under 54 inches), then became a barrel pony for a nine year old girl, babysitting all the while.

It's great to run a calm, well rounded horse on barrels. No blowing past barrels, out of excitement, no silliness at the gate. She's spunky if you're brave, but put someone young or inexperienced on her and she'll just lope it.

ginster and Mirage like this.
  10. Binca

Binca Senior Member

Wow, what an awesome horse! Horses like that are so worth their weight in gold.

Josh isn't really barrel trained because I ride English, but he is very much the type I can get on and rev up and go (I bet he would be decent at barrels and give it a good shot!), a 13yo eventer at my old stables got on him and got him to jump way higher than I have tried, or I can put a beginner (kid or adult) on him and he won't put a foot wrong or go any faster than really, really asked. :p

Please feel free to share more photos of that adorable pair in the future!!

ginster and Mirage like this.