1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Roundworms in 2 year old

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by mkoktavy, Apr 21, 2017.

1. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

Hey all, I've been battling roundworms with Flash... we had a fecal done last summer and he showed a low count of roundworms and small strongyls.
    He had been wormed every 3 months last spring/summer rotating ingredients before we did the fecal so I was a little upset to see that he still in fact an egg count.... After the fecal which was mid summer My vet had me do a double dose of fenbendazole and then we did Quest Plus in the fall. I should have done another fecal afterwards but I figured that would have done the trick.
    Mid March I happened to notice something hanging out of his bum, removed it and it was a good 12" roundworm, ICK! Messaged my vet right away and I treated with Ivermectin the next day. Had a fecal done with vaccines now and the results came back that he STILL has a low count of roundworm eggs!
    My vet thinks we should do another double dose of fenbendazole in 3 weeks and fecal again in July.
    I'm a bit at a loss. I'm thinking at this point the roundworms have built up an immunity to the wormer... and I'm also worried as to why Flash hasn't built up an immunity to the roundworms yet...
    I'm located in Ontario, Canada so I'm not sure if we can get powerpacks or anything like that - at least I haven't seen any in our local feedstores....
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You can't worm a horse in fall, then not check for worms u until mid March. Take a couple balls of fresh poop, put them in a baggie and carry them to your Vet for a fecal count. Then use what he says to use. Worms keep coming back because they eat off the ground where worms live.

3. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

Hey manes, sorry if that was confusing - I did just do a fecal after I wormed in March of this year (as I already knew he had roundworms from finding one) I waited past the 4-6 weeks to do the fecal from when I wormed to see if we had gotten them all.
    The only time I didn't do the fecal was after the last worm of the fall last year.
    So as of today I got the fecal back and it showed that there are still low counts of roundworms even after worming in March.

4. tlkidding

tlkidding Senior Member

I think you might have some resistance or you are using the wrong dewormer for the time of year. Where are you located?

Spring do a fecal - deworm with Quest Plus. If the fecal showed a high egg count, do another fecal a few weeks after deworming and if count is still high, I think you do a Panacur Powerpac

Fall (after the first hard frost) do a fecal - deworm with Equimax. Again if the count is high you might need to do another Powerpac.

In my barn, they found one horse that was a high shedder throughout a year, despite several rounds of Powerpac, etc. I don't know if he is still a high shedder, but the vet and owner determined to just leave him be and do QuestPlus and Equimax and reconsider if his condition changed.

If your vet is still recommending deworming every 3 months, it might not hurt to consult with another vet or university to help with a plan for your horse.

manesntails likes this.
  5. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

I'm in Ontario, Canada. We only wormed every 3 months in the summer of his weanling-yearling years. He will now now be 2 and is supposed to develop an immunity against roundworms by that age. Fenbendazole is what is recommended against ascarids (roundworms) which is what we are double dosing with but I'm hesitant its not going to work again...

6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

If you are using fenbendazole you need to do the Power Pak or 5 days double dose.
    At this point if he was mine I would use another drug like equimax or quest.

Whoa and manesntails like this.
  7. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

so Quest is Moxidectin, I don't see Equimax as being available to me... If I do Quest I'm assuming thats a single dose as Quest I've heard you can overdose on it... would you do just the one treatment or do 5 days as well? I'm very unfamiliar with the powerpack, I thought that was its own brand of wormer!
    Thank you

8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Quest is a one time at the proper dose for you horses weight.
    If you think he has a really high load then give Ivermectin 2 weeks before the Quest.

manesntails likes this.
  9. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

THANK YOU! Will try this.

manesntails likes this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

Wow that's not what vets told me to do. It's been every 45 or 60 days with youngsters and with changes of medication used.