1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured "Round pen him until he can't run anymore"

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by bellalou, Dec 13, 2016.

1. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I'm pretty proud of my barn but thanks anyway SLC.

My horses are the furthest thing from stressed. Forcing them to stand outside and then locking them up at night seems totally needless when they can choose to go in and out at will. Most nights they sleep outdoors but sometimes if it's raining, or even when it's gotten extra cold and windy lately, I've seen them sleeping inside a lot. No stress.

Do you think it's stressful and dangerous to have a three sided shed horses can go in at will? Because that's basically the same principle in action here.

My horses also aren't on "lush pasture" all day. I forgot it was impossible to post anything around here without being nitpicked.

2. Varisha

Varisha Senior Member

Don't let the nit pickers stress you out. If they become a big issue I suggest making use of the ignore feature if they get too intrusive.

3. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I'm not disputing many enjoy it, just that I doubt the untrained ones are sad that they aren't trained. That's anthropomorphizing (not saying you're doing it, just the mentality that they're being mistreated by not being in work).

I'm failing to see SLC's point of view for example that dictates every horse NEEDS to be in a program. IMO horses are pretty darn happy just being horses. Mine get out and go for lengthy walks and definitely enjoy the change of scenery but... they are happy just being in a herd and being horses too.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

Expressing different ideas is not nitpicking at you. You're free to have other ideas and do as you please.

I stand by my comments that those protruding boards are dangerous. It doesn't mean you'll have a accident tomorrow. It means they are a hazard. And they are. You don't want to fix it? Again, you do as you please. You don't think they're a problem, so you don't change it.

You don't want to work your horses? That's your business too. I'm going to work mine as much as I can. I see a lot of overweight horses among those that don't get worked. I don't want that for my horses.

5. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Mine also run in and out as they please. The only time I lock them up is when the weather is very nasty. We have a lot of wind and 0 trees so it can get to whipping.

NBChoice, Arem and foxtrot like this.
  6. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

The "protruding" decorative stall door boards are sanded smooth, I've never had one get so much as a hair rub from them. I mean, everything is a hazard for horses, so you're right in that regard. I had one snap his leg and die in the middle of a big open dry lot so obviously nothing is safe. But I'm not too worried about my stall doors at the moment. If one manages to gore himself on the stall door I guess I'll change my mind, but that could also happen on the flex wire fence or on a tree stump or a rock because horses are magnets for dumb injuries.

7. BossMare16

BossMare16 Full Member

Honestly I think your stall doors are adorable and I don't see a huge hazard in them as opposed to barbed wire fence or twine in hay, or nails sticking out of the wall. I'm sure they're plenty cheerful not pulling a cart but I do think it could be enjoyable for you and them if you tried it out. My mini mare used to have a super sour attitude with working until I trained her to drive and in-hand jump, but yours don't seem near as grumpy as she ever was! :p

Back to the actual topic though? The dumbest advice I've ever gotten is "She's awful jumpy, you need to get a bigger bit in her." This was about my mare, about two years ago. Since then we've really been working on relaxation and listening to seat/leg/voice rather than the bit (unless we really need it, but usually a last resort).
    Another was "She's already 3 and doesn't know the fundamentals??" Their idea of fundamentals was lead changes, neck reining, and jumping at least 2'6". Some people might think the first two are okay, I know that my filly isn't ready for more than the handful of rides she's had at this point, and I would've hoped everyone knows not to jump anything under 5-6 years old.

secuono, Artrageous, Binca and 2 others like this.
  8. VivaLaPiuto

VivaLaPiuto Full Member

Dumbest advice I've had lately "If you don't hit that horse, you may as well shoot him now", my former trainer talking about a horse I leased who was being buddy sour. Last time I checked you still can't beat buddy sour out of a horse. We left immediatley and never looked back.

secuono likes this.
  9. Sarai

Sarai Senior Member

Apparently my cousins don't. They are jumping their Akhal Teke/TB mare at quite high heights. She's three years old, just had a colt this summer by a grade QH that hospitalized one of the children for two weeks from a bite. (But he was just trying to eat some grass... Lol... A horse really has to bite that hard to get a mouthful of knee height grass?).

10. Sarai

Sarai Senior Member

And may I add:
    This stallion isn't even halter broke because he attacks whoever tries to catch him. Stinking terror. Needs to be gelded like, right now.
    But they think they are doing nothing wrong...:(