"Round pen him until he can't run anymore"

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by bellalou, Dec 13, 2016.

1. equicrzy

equicrzy Senior Member

Yes, obviously, I left off the "E"....... my phone, I guess, doesn't recognize "longeing"...... kept, in fact, trying to change it to, "lingering"....

manesntails likes this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

That's what my horse does! He lingers! He lewdly lingers as I longe, and I lean on the lintel and lament!

equicrzy and Ziast like this.
  3. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I've always called it lunging. Longeing sounds strange to me, no matter how correct it may be.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I go through periods where I TRY to use Longeing, but it sounds so freeking pretensious ( like someone that wasn't born speaking French trying to wing it) that I cringe while typing it and go right back to the Americanized version: lungeing.

Makes me eyes roll back in me head when people throw french words into their
    conversation cuz they think it makes them look 'special', you know, like: "Looky me: I know French words~!! Ain't I sumpin'~!! "
    :sick:
    Gag.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

Um. Woops. This has nothing to do with pretense or snobbishness. This is a word that's already part of English and has been a long time. The spelling 'longe' is used legitimately so it is not confused with 'lunge' which means to leap at something. Spelling the word that way serves a purpose, which is why the difference exists. Using the spelling "lunge" was simply - a mistake. Earlier, Americans used the term "gyp" and ''gyp line". The use of ''longe'' came mostly from reading English books on riding. Books from England, written in English.

Roughly 60% of the words already in English are French or Romance Language originated, just as this word is All through the history of English, ever since it began, words have been shuffling into English from the Romance languages.

Spelling it 'lunge' or 'longe' doesn't matter. The word still originally came over from French/Romance languages, along with related words like "line". As did more than half of the words we use in English. Core words like ''air'' and "camp" and "base" and "line".

When people who want to be snobs try to use French words, they don't use words like "longe". They use words they expect other people to not understand, which is what provides the snob appeal.

And in general, they misuse those words in painfully grotesque and hysterically ridiculous ways, like the girl who named her horse, "Pieds du Blanche" - or maybe it was "Pix du Blanche", I forget. But it was hysterical.

People who really know foreign languages, and really enjoy using the words, generally do not use the words in conversations with someone they know does not understand the language. They use the words with others who are trying to learn the language, people they can learn from and learn with.

In other words, it's pretty much guaranteed, that if a person is tossing in French words with people who he or she already knows don't understand those words, purely for snob appeal, the speaker probably is misusing those words. In hysterically funny ways, in general.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

If lunge is incorrect because it's the Americanization, and you are going to pick on people for using it, then start using colour instead of color and centre instead of center. as well as Aluminium instead of aluminum.

7. CessBee

CessBee Senior Member

However you want to spell it, I think we can all agree that it is making your horse go around you in circles whilst attached to a long rope of some kind. We can all pick up what it means in the context of the sentence can't we? That is the brilliance of the English language.

And I think most of us here would agree that it isn't really solid advice to call it ground work. Bringing us full circle back on topic. TADA!

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Blah, blah. Blahhh, Whoops~!!
    I disagree with you.
    I didn't, and I can say with confidence, WE didn't need that diatribe about how YOU believe it should be, where the words came from, etc. If I ever thought I might want to be learning all about what goes on in your head, I'd just blow my brains out and avoid the boredom.

but thanks anyway.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Varisha likes this.
  9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

In England make that ALL, had never heard of longeing until I came across the Atlantic, lunging, we lunge our horses on lunge reins.....

10. slc

slc Senior Member

When British published, English language books have had the term spelled the other way a long time(though I'm sure you can find one that has it spelled incorrectly). Like I said, it's a mistake. It's that simple. But again, like I said, it doesn't really matter all that much. A horse person is going to know if you write 'lunge line' that you mean longe line. You just didn't spell it properly.