Round Bale Holder Vs. None

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Mary6478, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Mary6478

Mary6478 Senior Member+

We have been feeding our horses round bales with out a hay holder and it always turns out looking like this:

[​IMG]
    (that was taken today)

They seem to poop and pee and sleep in the hay. We give them a round bale about every 4 weeks and they eat it down in about 2 weeks! (we give square bales when they eat through the round bale)

My Questions:

How much is an average holder?? (i have been looking so up and they seem to be around $180-400 :eek: big differences)

Is it worth investing in a Round Bale holder??

Will the hay last longer??

What type would be best??

Can horses use the same ones cows use or will their heads get stuck in the bars??

If you can think of anything else I missed (question wise) please inform me :)
    If you also want to post examples that would be great!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015

2. faroutfax

faroutfax Senior Member+

[​IMG]

We use one simmilar to this :) They put their heads in the openings. Nobody has gtten stuck :wink:

Mary6478 likes this.
  3. cowgirl21

cowgirl21 Banned

My dad made his own, so three horses go through one round bale (1800 pounds) in about 3-3 and a half weeks....

[​IMG]

It works well, he just used a rubber type thing and rapped it around the bale....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
    Mary6478 likes this.
  4. Mary6478

Mary6478 Senior Member+

Could you use these types with horses??
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. cowgirl21

cowgirl21 Banned

I think you could but i would be worried about them getting spooked or something with that bar there and whacking there head....or worse...

6. faroutfax

faroutfax Senior Member+

[​IMG]

I wouldn't. The horses have to get the hay out somehow. They will either have to reach over the top very unnaturally to get the hay or they will try to get the hay by sticking their heads in the slots. Then they panic, bring their heas up still in the heeder and you have a good vet bill :wink: Plus it is just hard to get their head in them.

With the other that I posted the horse panics and escapes :wink: The tops are also rounded so it is slightly safer that way :)

7. Mary6478

Mary6478 Senior Member+

Cowgirl-> can your horse reach the bale when it gets low on the one your dad made for you??

8. Mary6478

Mary6478 Senior Member+

faroutfax-> Yea thats what I thought (and I have a very spooky horse) I will tell my dad that we can't get a regular cow feeder then.

9. cowgirl21

cowgirl21 Banned

yes he can, he made the front a little open though because the rubber was rubbing on there chests....but it works quite well...and easy to make

10. kellidahorsegirl

kellidahorsegirl Senior Member+

Those yellow cattle hay feeders 'work' for horses, but the spooking issue has been brought up already. What I noticed (cuz I used one like that for a while) is that they rub their manes off right where you grab to mount.....they are pretty well roached at that part. Takes forever to grow back too.

We picked up our feeder with the rounded pieces (the horse one that faroutfax posted) for about $230 at an Orshlens (a farm supply store).