ROOTING

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by emali06, Feb 20, 2019.

1. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

What are your best suggestions to deal with a horse that roots on the bit?

Please keep in mind that this horse has had extensive body work (Regular professional massage, chiro, PEMF, Acupuncture, regular dental work, laser therapy...) basically everything I can get my hands on and this issue is long standing and on going. His saddle fits extremely well (ive been through that journey already), his feet are done every month, he is always sound and happy (KNOCK ON WOOD!). I ride him in a plain snaffle generally. I would like to try a myler bit but have no yet. The only thing I have found that he doesn't root in is a correction bit but I don't want to ride him in one. But I can't deny it was nice for my arms and hands to not be dealing with him rooting constantly. Training doesn't really help.

I have NOT tried a bosal. I have one but I haven't used it yet.

Thoughts?

2. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

What’s the reason you are opposed to a correction bit? I ride in one when practicing and showing... I use a three piece snaffle when doing other work such as bending, trails, bareback, etc.

Edit - maybe ride with a crop and when he roots, smack on the behind to encourage forward motion?

250girl likes this.
  3. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I'm not sure why. I am honestly very bit ignorant so I try to be as mild as possible within reason. He doesn't like 3 piece snaffles at all.

I've tried the crop thing but haven't used it in over a year.

4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Have you tried a baucher bit? Don't know if it would make a difference or not, but it's worth a try.

5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Never heard of it

6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I looked them up. I guess I have seen them but never used one. I'll keep an eye out for one.

7. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

I am not trying to be “you do it because I do it” person; however, if it works for you, use it.

Maybe a good hour long ride where he gets a good whooping every time. First sign of it, big smack. Even one ride like that will help. Forward motion is key.

250girl likes this.
  8. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I understand. My trainer says he gets a "high" from it. No idea how but its so ingrained in his mind. When we stand still and he tries to root, I boot him in the belly which pops him out of the pattern. I just want him to stand quietly but he wants to wag his head around and root on the bit. He has trouble loping with a correction bit. He will do it but he wants to throw his head up and be obnoxious like he usually does. With the correction bit he humps his back, and crow hops his rear end and tries to evade that way instead. I push him forward, try to get a good pace and then start over. He is seriously a turd and I know I'm battle my own confidence with him. I'm just struggling to find a happy medium with him.

9. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Does he do it in a bit less set up ? Like can you just ride him around with a side pull or rope halter ? What if you totally get off the reins and ride one handed ? Video ...I need to see what you're doing with your hands first. Maybe you're release timing is off ? You can pm it to me if you don't want to post it here. I do recommend trying a Myler. That's what I use. Highly recommend and you can contact them for assistance on choosing a bit.

Oaks and Binca like this.
  10. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

He still does it in a halter. I am sure my timing is off. He is so all over the place its really hard to have timing. Its hard to explain but anyone that rides him knows what I mean. He has always been like this. I've even had him checked out neurologically because of it but the vets all say he is normal.