Roe V Wade

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mooselady, Jul 10, 2018.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Yup, I realize and agree.

Exactly. I don't know what it's like in the states, but in Canada, BC at least, you get decent government compensation for being a single mother, per kid I believe. I know a girl who, both she and her mother, are on welfare, the daughter has 3 kids now. First one was an oops, second one, different father, she basically tricked him into getting her knocked up, third one, she got knocked up with VERY quickly after having the third, by yet another guy. She has no relationship with the first two guys, doesn't work, has two horses that she jumps barn to barn with because quickly a few months in she stops paying for board and their care and gets kicked out. Now freeloads off of the third dad, who, if I'm being honest, is an odd guy himself and is probably happy to have a woman and a kid, so he lets her walk all over him. People like her are the problem.

2. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Full Member

I believe it is the same. Because my mother always jokes that single moms have more kids just to get paid and I personally know a few...

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

If abortions were to be removed it would go back exactly to what happened before - women dying from unsafe procedures. Oddly, it seems that the life of the woman is less important than an unwanted fetus and that is..very messed up. My family is Catholic and I thank goodness they were not religious extremists.

stephanie, shaiarabs, ginster and 5 others like this.
  4. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I am personally of the mind that everything should be done to avoid abortion, but it should be legal.
    __

I'm late, but wanted to comment on the idea that only Rhythm method contraception is right by God. :no: This is a dangerous and widespread myth born of pure scientific ignorance thousands of years ago!
    About ten years ago, I did a lot of soul searching, Biblical/theological research, and historical context studying because in college I was faced with a divide between what (I was under the impression) God thought about homosexuality and what I felt in my heart was right. I could not believe that something so unharmful to others and born of love would be something hated by the God of love.
    My research brought me to the (slowly expanding) belief that the idea homosexulality, along with masturbation, sex for pleasure, and physical contraception, are believed to be sinful BECAUSE scientific knowledge at the time these ideas were interpreted from scripture was so limited. In the most basic of basic terms, the patriarchal societies of yesteryear believed that the man's sperm was actually the baby and the woman was simply an incubator. Therefore, homosexual sex, masturbation, sex for pleasure, and physical contraception were all murderous activities because his semen (aka "the baby") was sent to certain doom. In case you forgot, murder is not allowed by God so these behaviors became a no-no. However, we know that sperm is not a baby. Thanks, science.
    Nowadays, we know that God's design (or just the design, if you prefer) around contraception is so much more complex. Therefore, spilling seed is not murder and therefore, these aforementioned sins are not in fact sinful. :) Discovering this giant "misunderstanding" was a great relief to my heart and I'm grateful for Christians (and a Jewish blogger) along the way who led me to it. It also made WAY more sense why the Bible celebrates sex as a gift from God. It's not just for makin' babies ;)
    I apologize as this does not necessarily relate to the OP, but it does relate to some of the discussion herein. Contraceptives of any form are not wrong and can go a long way to prevent abortions, if that is your goal.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

See, here's the big kick in the backside for me: When you hear people from the Conservative, Religious “Right“ judging others and saying that their views are Wrong. The word “Right“ becomes oxymoronic, totally.

Why do I say that?

It is written at least three times, verses about judgement, and ya'll ignore that in order to judge, condemn, and treat others in a way that does not follow the tenants set forth for YOUR behavior.

Even in the Commandments, it says “YOU shall not....“
    It never says: “YOU shall NOT ALLOW others...“

Especially read Romans 14: 10-16
    Romans 14: 10-16 - Bing
    quote: “ make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself, but if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean....“

where in the bible judge not that ye shall not be judged - Bing

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

I agree.

ginster likes this.
  7. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Definitely interesting to note that, as you say, way back when, the scripture was going off of what they knew, scientifically. And now that we know more, it seems that some groups are slow to catch up to that change.

CoffeeBean, mooselady and manesntails like this.
  8. Alyssa Hughes

Not even gonna comment. :rolleyez:

9. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Just a bit confused by your post, not quite following.

So you're saying that the bible is saying that they, singularly, personally, shall not do something. But basically keep your nose out of what someone else is doing, if they are doing it?

Sorry manes, slow morning for me hahaha.

10. Alyssa Hughes

That is what I got out of it.

NaeNae likes this.