Roe V Wade

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mooselady, Jul 10, 2018.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

If the make up of the Supreme Court changes with a new appointment do you really think that this ruling will be overturned?

If that does indeed happen what will the consequences be?

2. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

I think it's possible.

Consequences? Hopefully, people travelling to states that choose to keep abortion legal to obtain safe procedures. Realistically? People suffering from the backroom procedures to which they have access. Plus the inevitable downsides of people carrying unwanted pregnancies to term (e.g., infants abandoned and increased domestic violence).

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I'm sure that the overturning of Rowe vs Wade is on the agenda.

Anything to please the base and hold onto those votes.

4. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Actually overturning it is a precipitous slope and also goes against court doctrine of generally acknowledging previous decisions. However, a "conservative" court could very well effectively chip away at it by permitting new heinous state laws to stand, resulting in a weakening of a woman's right to choose. This goes beyond Roe, too...there are quite a few things that could potentially be affected relative to womans' heath and family planning in a negative way.

5. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Whoever wants abortion to be criminalized better open up their homes and pocketbooks for the flood of unwanted babies dumped into the foster care system. Because that's a GREAT place to end up.

stephanie, meljean, Jim_in_PA and 2 others like this.
  6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I happen to think that at some point unborn children feel pain, joy and have a right to their own life. I also think that women and men have right to choose a myriad of birth control methods and the morning after pill...... I believe that abortions should be kept at a minimum for medical reasons, and that late term abortion should not be legal...... I personally do not want to financially or physically support abortions.

There are literally thousands of American families that would adopt theses infants. The issue with Fostering for many is that the child's birth parents, DSHS, and the Courts are involved and the Children have often have been extremely traumatized, and can be taken away at any time and perhaps returned to abusive parents and for many this is not an emotional option.

I do not think that Roe V Wade will be overturned...but I hope there will be limitations.

mygirl1197 and OldGreyMare like this.
  7. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it would be overturned. Just like Obama didn't "ban guns".

Circle C likes this.
  8. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Overturned? Probably not. There might be some changes to abortion laws though, making it more difficult to get one and stiffer penalties for doctors that do them. I think there's a lot of overreaction right now to anything this administration does. There was a fear that he would make same sex marriage illegal again and he did not. Just sayin'. I think we just need to wait until there's something to worry about. But that's just me. Obama didn't do half the crap with gun laws people were afraid he'd do. My opinion of him is irrelevant, but the fact remains, a lot of the fears involved with his administration never materialized either.

Circle C likes this.
  9. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

They've been chipping away at women's reproductive rights and healthcare for years. I think this new development is scary.

Some things that already happen are fake crisis pregnancy centers masquerading as medical facilities, forced ultrasounds, biased counseling, TRAP laws that limit providers,mandatory waiting periods, limited access to birth control and morning after pills... one state is currently trying to ban abortions after six weeks. Six weeks is NOT a viable fetus. What about state ballots with personhood amendments?

Do you know that in some states women must travel as far as 200 miles to find an abortion provider? It is already cost prohibitive at that point.

If you're not scared by this administration I don't think you're paying attention.

walktrot, stephanie, meljean and 11 others like this.
  10. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Women’s right have come a very long way on the last 50 years, so has women’s healthcare….Women have more healthcare rights than men to self-refer, to preventive medicine, and screening. We still have a ways to go on equal compensation but we also need to empower ourselves with education and be proactive over our own lives. Part of being proactive means means if we don’t want to reproduce then we should be taking birth control, keeping a morning after pill on hand, insisting that any partners be tested and use a prophylactic to protect against STD’s.

I choose not to have children until my 30’s…and I took the steps to ensure my choice...and there are far more options today than what I had available.

mygirl1197, Arem and ChestersMomma like this.