Roaring horses: How are they limited?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by devilishjumper, Nov 26, 2008.

1. devilishjumper

devilishjumper Senior Member+

I have been offered a great deal on a horse to buy drastically under market price. There were some personal problems and the horse needs to go ASAP. He has done and placed VERY well in a few A rated big Jumper shows in the area at the 4' level. He's 8 years old. I would be taking him and getting him back in shape and hopefully to level 6 and beyond.

The only problem is he is a Roarer. I have not seen him yet so i'm not sure how bad it is however, how does this affect their performance? High level jumpers are incredibly demanding on a horse, could he perform at this level with out a problem?

I have heard of surgery, how much does surgery like that run?

Also he would turn into a slow turn around horse, meaning i'd sell in 2-3 years as a nice packer, how much would that affect resale?

thanks!

2. Horsed

Horsed Senior Member

A roarer?! Haha sorry I'm imagining Reptar from that kids show Rugrats now... I've never heard of this before and I am curious to see replies...

3. imjustjoking22

imjustjoking22 Senior Member+

If it's not too serious in my experience it can have little to no effect on their performance- will likely affect resale value, but if you are getting a really great deal it may still be worth it. :)

4. Horsed

Horsed Senior Member

What is it exactly? Do the horses literally roar? :eek2:

5. guess who

guess who Senior Member+

I'm with Horsed, what on earth is a Roarer??

6. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Senior Member+

Definition of Roaring

Definition: Problems with the respiratory system, especially the larynx can cause a horse to make a roaring noise, especially when cantering or galloping. Roaring may be annoying but relativly harmless in a pleasure horse if the cause is known and taken care of. Some horses make a snorting noise with each stride of the canter or lope. However, sudden roaring, or roaring in a performance horse needs veterinary attention. Have your veterinarian check your horse if it roars to be sure that no medical treatment is required.

from: http://horses.about.com/od/glossaryofhorsetermsr/g/roaring.htm

7. Horsed

Horsed Senior Member

THAT makes sense. lol I was very confused. :blushing:

8. guess who

guess who Senior Member+

Same here..it sounded a bit unlike a horse to just roar at people randomly

9. Horsed

Horsed Senior Member

I know right! I was kinda picturing a horse sitting in a stall and then just roaring at someone walking by....:eek:

10. shenanigans

shenanigans Senior Member+

If your hoping to compete further with this horse your best bet is to get the horse scoped & you may have more options available. Horses that roar generally have problems getting sufficient oxygen. It maybe harmless but most roarers I have known (esp competetively) progress w/o some type of treatment based on the degree of the issue. And that MAY involve surgery.
    Sorry meant to add, do you know the people that have him now? Have they had him scoped yet?
    The price is effected by the fact they have this issue, even if its for pleasure use, its considered a defect...I know that sounds harsh but if its not corrected it generally gets worse, so it limits their potenial & their resale values.