Road To Worlds: A Novice and her Appaloosa

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Dream27, Dec 31, 2018.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

She really points her toe nice. I bet she would be a nice little western rider too.

2. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

She's not too bad. We do show western, just not pleasure. That is NOT her forte. At least not with my training it isn't. :D But we plan on doing horsemanship and trail at worlds.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I meant western riding with flying lead changes, not western pleasure.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Oooh gotcha! Yeah we haven't tried those yet, but that would be super cool!!! She tends to be very uncoordinated so I have a feeling it would take a lot to teach the lead change, but hopefully that will happen sometime!

LoveTrail likes this.
  5. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Well, loped Frosty. Just a tiny bit but wanted to see where she was at after sitting for 5 months. The left lead is still sticky and strung out but I'm pretty happy with the right. We'll obviously work on many aspects of it, but for how long she's been off, I'm pleased. We did some drills working on swinging her hips around at the trot.

I also ponied Moose for the second time. Isn't he the cutest? I'm strongly considering taking him to Worlds too and he's an App so he's going to be included in this thread too :)

GotaDunQH, ginster, equinitis and 2 others like this.
  6. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

We are making progress! Nothing video-worthy yet but Frosty is making progress! We are really working to soften her ribs, and I can feel when she lifts and softens and reaches under herself. In our lope, for the first time she doesn't feel like a stiff board as much and I can make her bend around my leg. We still have a very very long ways to go, but I feel like we've finally broken some invisible ceiling we have struggled with since we started loping.

Besides the rib softening/lifting, we have also been working on bending and being soft through our bending with the curb bit and going one handed on our steering and putting our nose into the bends (she tends to want to be super straight and move from her shoulder instead of being soft and flowing from the nose through to her tail as we bend). Last night we worked on serpentines over logs, which we have really struggled with in the past. For only being back in work about a week, I'm super happy with how she's doing.

Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to have her flexed and see if she needs her hocks injected, and try to get some chiro and massage work done as well. Where I live, I didn't think there was anyone reputable around (same reason I trim my own hooves...), and lo and behold, a lady I ride with said there's a vet who comes from over 6 hours away and she is super good and is also a chiro/massage/accupuncture person. HOORAH!!!

Now, on to Moose. We have been working a little on lunging every day...like 5 minutes a day. Just teaching him to hold the circle, move out off my body language, and the cues for each gait. I think he does 1-2 circles at the walk, 1-2 at the trot and half to one at the lope. We do some sidepassing as well as trotting in hand, and last night, worked on setting up for the first time ever. He seems to want to stand square so that sure helps!! He is the kindest boy ever and so sweet, but is getting a little mouthier. I am heavy on the praise with him, and so far it is paying off. He is a big cuddle bug.

Frosty:
    20190317_180334.jpg

Moose:
    FB_IMG_1553288014008.jpg

GotaDunQH, foxtrot, ginster and 2 others like this.
  7. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Ok I lied. I'll give some video but am not looking for a critique unless it's something I haven't noticed. Her left lead has been a struggle forever and this was day 1 of working on the ribs, so give us some slack. Ignore her neck position....I'm just working on her legs and body right now so I'm not working on her head at the lope until her body is conditioned better and we have some rhythm and drive from behind. I do hold her outside rein to keep her on the circle but that's it. I know I need to stop picking on her face at the trot...thats a bad bad habit of mine and I am working hard to fix it.

8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I would just make her lope faster and not worry about slow at this point. She doesn't have the strength to lope slow correctly yet. Good on not working on a headset. Hope that was okay to say. :cautious:

9. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Of course it is. Thank you! I do know she needs more drive. It's the story of our life. Unfortunately I'm not making her go slow at all...my legs are so sore tonight after riding and trying to drive her forward. The speed she is going is her choice...while I do not want her all strung out so I'm using my outside rein a little but that's it. She has two speeds....gallop and this. Shes just a really untalented loper. Hopefully it will improve as she gets stronger but I'm not holding my breath :)

GotaDunQH and LoveTrail like this.
  10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Maybe try working on the gallop first. Definitely will be easier on her hocks as she gets the strength.