Road To Worlds: A Novice and her Appaloosa

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Dream27, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I'm right there... 34 degrees! Feels like shorts weather. Now, if we can skip the 8-12" of snow they are predicting......

kodemiester likes this.
  2. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

I sure hope you get missed with that. We were originally supposed to get a bunch and it kept getting less and less and now they're not predicting any for us! Things are melting, trailer is hooked up and packed and this girl is READY to get some horses trimmed and worked after work!!

kodemiester and LoveTrail like this.
  3. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

It was about the same temp here today except the wind made it feel colder. Sunday we are supposed to get snow, then turn to rain. At this time of year....can we get one or the other, and not this combo carp that is terrible to clear?? On a brighter note, I fly out to CA on 3/19 for a horse show in Paso Robles, which is wine country in SoCal....yahoooooooo!

kodemiester, Dream27 and LoveTrail like this.
  4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Last time I showed in Paso Robles, my trainer was there, actually still is, was 1977. I grew up one county over to the south.

Below the mountains we have had average snow, haven't had average for awhile, lately below. Now our mountains way above and lots of avalanches. More than normal for the main highway through there, I70. Usually you don't have a ski resort closed due to too much snow. Arapahoe Basin Ski Area to remain closed Friday morning due to dangerous snow conditions

Enjoy your first ride since October. And I thought I was having it bad not being able to ride since January.

5. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Thanks! I did start a colt in January for my ex, but I haven't done anything with Frosty since October. Looking forward to working with my main gal again!! (and of course, Moose Man as well)

Maybe I'll be brave enough to take some video :)

LoveTrail likes this.
  6. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

20190308_185928.jpg I got a lot of the trimming done last night and will finish today. She was self trimming her fronts which was pretty cool, but WOW did she have a lot of bar. It had wrapped around the apex of the frog in some feet even. Her back left leg where she got cut is a little swollen but shes sound...I could just see it when she lifted it in the pivot instead of planting it in the video.

So yeah, since she hasnt been ridden any in 5 months, we did a short lunging session, followed by a short riding session. We mostly worked on transitions and pivots and some half passing at the walk. She tends to be really sticky in her ribs so we want to get those more supple. No loping yet...going to just do some walk/trot stuff until I feel shes in better condition. I do like how she looks coming off her winter break though.

Oh yeah, she keeps her feed bag on because otherwise she eats wood like a beaver and since the people are so gracious to let me use their facility, I want to keep it as un-chewed-on as possible.

As you can see at the end of the video, we had some fun. :)

7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

She is gorgeous.
    Her lope looks fun! Almost like she's skipping along..
    Also: gotta love a horse you can get on after so long and this is the result!

Dream27 likes this.
  8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Looking great my friend!!! Where is the World App show....in Ft. Worth? The plan is to show at the National APHA show in Las Vegas in October with my 2YO double registered Mia. But who says I can't stop half way and hang out at your show!!

Dream27 and kodemiester like this.
  9. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Yep, Fort Worth! It would be so awesome to have you stop by!

Frosty has really kept her condition super well. Me on the other hand....not so much. And poor Moose never had any....he got introduced to ponying today and picked it up super quick (as well as sidepassing!!) but was quite tired.

GotaDunQH and kodemiester like this.
  10. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Thank you!! Funny thing is, she really doesn't lope like that under saddle unless I really push her. We tend to struggle with "too slow, not enough impulsion" at the lope, but hoping that some of these drills I'm working on to supple her ribs and be able to bend into the direction of travel will help with that so I can maneuver her hip and ribs better in the lope and give her more lift.

And yes, she definitely stays broke. Like I said, her mind is beyond amazing. She is such a sweet soul and always tries so hard for me. I know I probably should sell her after worlds (or at worlds) but oofta, it's going to be very hard for me to do. I think I'll advertise her but I'd only sell if I could match her with the right person.

kodemiester, ginster and LoveTrail like this.