Road To Worlds: A Novice and her Appaloosa

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Dream27, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Aww thank you so much!! I wish I could explain how great minded she is. She loves working cows, but she also loves showing. She never puts her ears back and I can literally feel her trying for me any time I ask. She might not be the best mover or the best conformation, but being really good minded has sure helped us at shows...eg. at Worlds 2017, we were getting ready to go do trail, and one of the other competitors (in a different class) and I got to talking. We were watching the live feed of the arena, and many horses were looky or a little spooky. She mentioned that most horses usually freak out a little their first time in the big arena by themselves, so I started to get a little nervous for our turn. When we finally went in for our trail pattern, she put her head down and just tromped through the pattern better than I ever could have asked...you would have thought she was a 20 year old show horse that had seen anything, instead of a 3 year old at her first world show.

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

these are the best kind and the most fun to ride!

Alsosusieq2, ginster and Dream27 like this.
  3. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

Following this!!!

Dream27 and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

So far, we are boring as heck. Frosty had a sore stifle (think she got kicked) last July, and it took awhile for it to get her sound, but even when she was proclaimed fully sound by my vet, I could feel she just wasn't using herself as she should. I'm hoping that this winter break will have allowed that to fully heal up and any sore spots she got from compensating have gotten some relief as well. I have ordered her a LUX mesh sheet that we will start using once we get back into work as well.

For now, she is just enjoying herself out in the pasture with Moose and is SO DIRTY....she doesn't look like a show horse, that's for sure. I need to put her tail up until show season, because it's starting to break off (it doesn't look chewed but definitely getting sparse from the hocks down). That's all I have for an update. I promise it'll be more exciting once spring rolls around!

5. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

So. We are still in the middle of winter, but it's looking to finally be above zero for the first time in a month, so regardless of the fact that there's already snow up to my knees and we are projected to get up to 10 more inches this weekend, I. AM. RIDING. (and trimming feet) This stubborn horse gal is wayyyyy to determined to let a little snow get in my way now that it's going to be in the 20s (above zero!!). I can't believe it and I'm SO ready to be done with this winter. Prepare for an actual riding update soon. Until then, here is an adorable pic of Frosty in her jammies just waiting for the weather to warm up....

20190227_171015.jpg

Pony123, Bebe, kodemiester and 2 others like this.
  6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

You wouldn't have to put up with that snow if you moved to Cali! LOLOLOL! I'll bug you about here and there....if you don't mind! Kudos for you for still riding in all that crazy snow!

kodemiester and Dream27 like this.
  7. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Haha of course I don't mind! I am constantly looking on zillow for places I could move to. But alas, that job wins out every time, and I tell myself I can just build a barn, etc and not have to move.

And if I didn't have a nice lady to let me use her indoor arena about 30 miles away (next door to my parents), I would be a LOT less positive about being ready for Worlds in time. But I think if I can just get to the stupid arena, I'll have good footing and a non-snow/ice covered area to ride around in, and I'm SO thankful to her for letting me come whenever I want and not even charging me. She's wonderful and if I do anything noteworthy at Worlds, she is absolutely on the top of the list of "people to thank"!

Bebe and kodemiester like this.
  8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

See...about Cali, you just move your horses to my facility!! When is the App World Show? I'll have to look up how popular Apps are in Cali....lolol.

9. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Haha!! I would totally do it if you could find me a job that was as easy as mine...as I sit here getting paid to read my kindle and discussing moving to California with you ;) Appy World Show is the end of October. Unfortunately, the most shows for Apps are in the midwest....I discovered Peoria, IL to be about the middle of everything Appy show-wise.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member