Road To Worlds: A Novice and her Appaloosa

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Dream27, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

I don't know how to blog, so this is the closest thing you'll get. I'm hoping someone who is just getting into showing might stumble upon this and realize that you don't have to be from a horsey family, riding since you were 3 years old, have tons of money or have a trainer to be able to show at a high level (granted, it is easier in appaloosas vs. AQHA or APHA). Of course, I might completely bomb as well, but hopefully this gives some insight to everyone who has ever wanted to show at a world show.

So, a little about me and my horse, for those of you who aren't aware. I am in my early 30's, and didn't have my own horse until I was 16 (my family does NOT do horses) and was fairly clueless about horses until I went to college and took some lessons. This taught me the basics of training, and since then I have tried to gain as much knowledge as I can, from learning from friends to watching people at shows to attending clinics. I did gymkhana/gaming until about 2012. Our local shows have the halter/showmanship/English/Western classes in the morning and early afternoon, and games after everything else. So I'd sit around and watch the others show, and I finally got sick of watching and wanted to participate. A friend (@Lopinslow ) hooked me up with a paint mare, and we learned together at first. Eventually, with some twists and turns in the road, I stumbled upon appaloosas. My best friend shows them and I wanted to spend time with her, so I decided on a weanling colt from the same breeders as my friend. Once I got to the farm, however, I didn't fall in love with the colt like I had hoped. Instead, I asked to see the yearling filly that I had seen in videos and didn't like her "wild appy eye" in the video at all. Suffice to say that I fell in love with this goofy looking spotty beast I named Frosty, even though she had her chest stitched up from attempting to impale herself I'm guessing. I will be very honest...her bloodlines are nothing special. She is halter on the top, and performance (Zippo Pine Bar) on the bottom. Truly nothing to write home about. She is cow hocked, sickled and long backed. However, she has probably the best mind, and because of that, we have been able to do well in situations where her breeding or movement may otherwise hold her back. She will be 5 this spring, and is pushing 16 hands. Due to being homozygous leopard pattern, she has been night blind since birth, but she does fine...I just take a few more precautions with her in the dark than I would a normal horse and talk and touch her more so she knows where I am. In her non-training time, Frosty enjoys working/moving cattle--she also participates in the ranch classes at shows.

My best friend decided she wanted to attend the 2017 Appaloosa World Show, and wanted me to go with her. I didn't think I would take Frosty, but finally decided to take her, and I'm glad I did. Somehow, we ended up world champions in walk/trot trail, 3rd in novice non pro showmanship, 3rd in walk/trot hunt seat equitation, 6th in walk/trot hunter under saddle and 8th out of 24 in walk/trot western pleasure. It was a really great way for us to dip our toe into showing at a high level, and give me the confidence to work towards my current goal--showing in the novice non pro events at Worlds 2019 (showmanship, hunter under saddle, hunt seat equitation, horsemanship and trail...no western pleasure!).

Right now, Frosty is on winter break (since October), and I am looking forwards to the end of winter so we can get working again! Riding will be spotty in January and February, but once March hits, I will be riding almost every day. We are going to focus on half passing, transitions, spur control, using her hind end more in the lope, and really draping that neck (she has a higher neck set, which makes it harder for her to reach long and low like they want for showing). I also think this is the year to fully transition her over to the curb (we tried it a little at the local shows last year). I'm of course more comfortable riding 2 handed when it comes down to tight maneuvers, but I need to push myself.

If you've made it this far, congrats. My future posts will be much shorter, and will include updates about what we've been working on, photos, etc. There are also videos on youtube (pm if interested in links). I'm aware we have SO MUCH to work on--along with her struggling lope, she needs softer transitions to the lope, and I need to work on my equitation (I tend to lean forward and not relax through my hips and pelvis). I'm willing to put in the work and time required and look forward to this challenge. My plans right now are to not show her locally much at all to keep her fresh and not burn her out mentally (am leasing a coming 4 year old for my local show project...so far he is halter broke only LOL), but we have a few breed shows in June, possibly July, August, early October and then Worlds at the end of October in Fort Worth, TX. Bring on the challenges of 2019 and welcome to anyone who wants to join us on this crazy journey for the next 10 months!!!

***I welcome questions, comments and critiques, although I probably am aware of almost everything I do wrong..it's just hard to fix it immediately and much much harder and slower to progress without a trainer.***

Frosty 52518.jpg frosty4.jpg frosty3.jpg frosty2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  2. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

Following, can't wait for you to go to Worlds!

3. Pepper&Justan

Pepper&Justan Full Member

4. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

I love these threads. I'm so excited to see how you progress.

I have to tell you, I've never been a huge fan of appys, but she is beautiful

5. kodemiester

kodemiester Senior Member

Yay yay yay! Cant wait to see you two progress :D

6. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Thanks all. Frosty is a pretty cool color, that's for sure. When I bought her, she had birdspots. Now she gets really varnished in the summer. The best part about it is she's easy to clean. Is that brown spot part of the horse's coat or is it poo? No one will ever know!!!

Since we are still on winter break and not progressing at all (boo!)...I have spring fever. Here is our new show outfit. I owned the pad and bought the vest. I think it'll work really nice with Frosty's colors.
    Show Outfit.jpg

Bebe, Larkspade, Alsosusieq2 and 4 others like this.
  7. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Perfect! You will look great.

One of our first horses was a little gelding, who was a beautiful Carmel color with a snowflake blanket. Had the best feet, a broomstick tail and the floofiest flaxen mane. He probably was a POA but got too tall and ended up registered apply.

You will have a great time on your adventure.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Alsosusieq2, tlwidener and Dream27 like this.
  8. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

So pretty! I do that all the time as well, always looking for a new show outfit. I have a really cute shirt picked out but won't allow myself to buy it mostly due to my current pending status and not knowing how much showing I will be able to do. Might be able to do more than I expect if everything works out.

Can't wait to start hearing about your show results.

9. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

I sure hope you'll get some show time soon!! It's frustrating being in limbo. I knew I wanted a new vest for worlds (this will be for trail) and I'll try to find a cheap horsemanship top as well as we get closer to worlds.

I forgot to explain why I've decided I HAVE to do worlds this year. I'm one point away from novicing out of showmanship. So if I want to show SMS at the breed shows this year and still try to do it at worlds, it needs to happen this year, because once I get that point, the next year I'm ineligible for novice SMS, which really buggers up my high point all around chances since I don't do western pleasure. So 2019 is the year!!!

10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I love that horse.