1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Road To The RRP

Discussion in 'Blogs (Horse Forum)' started by GentleGiant1, Mar 21, 2017.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Fill the arena with a bunch of horses and riders of different ability and size....then try and school a dressage test, it really made me look where I was going rather than at her. I ride on my own so often that I don't HAVE to be aware, it made me lazy and just compounded a bad habit and made it worse....Having spent two weekends doing that I seriously have improved leaps and bounds, not perfect, but better :)

GentleGiant1 likes this.
  2. GentleGiant1

GentleGiant1 Full Member

I'll have to try it with my Trakehner. Bentley is still too studdish and aggresive around mares right now. I'll see if I can get my friend or our boarder to ride one of our geldings with us though. Thank you for the advice! :)

3. GentleGiant1

GentleGiant1 Full Member

AHHHHH!!!!! Bentley has been killing it lately!! I have spent almost a month of no canter work and just concentrating on balancing him at the trot and walk and lots and lots of transitions. So today I decided that we would try some canter work and he literally blew me away. I asked him like I do on my Inetrmediare 1 horse and he immedialty picked up a balanced and supple canter. He used to not be able to hold the canter for more than 5 strides and it took at least 5 tries to get him to canter. I can now ask him the proper way and he gives me an incredible canter. I am so glad I decided to stick to the basics these last couple of weeks. It has helped him out so much. Now I just need to sort my equitation out and we will be almost set for the RRP!!
    Picture is from last week. Also, if you go to his Facebook page you can find a hilarious video of him playing with a tarp. :)
    [​IMG]

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yay Bentley-!! This is great to hear, keep it up.. slow and steady pays off.

GentleGiant1 likes this.
  5. GentleGiant1

GentleGiant1 Full Member

Definitly! This month we are working on riding squres. So stopping straight before a corner and then asking him to move his haunches away from my leg. So far it's working great! Very excited for his debut in June. :)

6. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

His progress is amazing! I saw you guys in the article..and was like, hay! that's Bentley! Awesome, so cool~!!

GentleGiant1 likes this.
  7. GentleGiant1

GentleGiant1 Full Member

Thanks! Next one comes out in a week from today!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.