Rio - From Feedlot to Rescue?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Peanut Palomino, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

Yes, THAT Rio.

For those who don't know, Rio's previous owner was a regular here, so it's sad to see that he appears to have ended up in a rescue.
    I came across a CL ad today that was using RD's old avatar (Rio).
    Pretty Arabain

At first I thought this must be a scam (and it might). But I contacted the rescue and they claim it's real. They have videos of him on their Facebook.
    Oregon Animal Rescue | Facebook

The rescue said that Rio (possibly going by the name Rosco now) and his companion (a bay mare) were purchased from a feedlot. The woman who purchased them found them to be too much to handle, so she dropped them off at the rescue. They appear to be in decent condition.

As for the photo, I'm guessing that whoever sold him to the feedlot provided the photo (or maybe this was a horse trader who simply purchased Rio), and then they used the same photo to advertise him so the woman got the photo, and then also provided it to rescue? I know it's a stretch.

Is this actually Rio? Anyone in the OR area want to go check this out? Rio always seemed like such a cool horse, I hope he lands softly.

*I do apologize if this thread is in poor taste. We don't need to make this about RD, just about Rio. He was a popular horse on this board, so it's just sad to see him in a rescue (if this is legit).

2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Subscribing. (I don't feel like finding the button to do it the incognito way)

3. DelP

DelP Senior Member

Peanut I know there are some who might think this is in poor taste, but thank you for getting the word out. It may help Rio end up in a good home. I know many areas of the country Arabians can be hard to place.

4. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Wow.

I gotta admit this feels scammy to me at first blush.
    I can't imagine a scenario where rd is still alive and sends Rio to a feedlot. As much as I disagreed with the man I do hope he is ok :/

5. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I know Rios dad's real name was posted somewhere else, going to see if I can find it and make sure he's ok.

Varisha and Curly_Horse_CMT like this.
  6. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Wow, I can't see why RD would get rid of him either! I wonder if they somehow just googled and got lucky finding that picture. It's definitely one he's shown here before!

7. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I'm shocked to see this. I cannot imagine RD giving up Rio so I hope, for that reason, this is a case of the picture being taken.

I remember RD's first name (very unique) so if anyone would like to try to find him, I can help you with that at least.

8. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

I knew his name from the vette forums. Googled it but didn't come up with anything. Couldn't dig much, I'm on a break here and it's almost up.

9. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

This looks like a job for the world's BEST investigator. @CoffeeBean please help us out here to see if this is legit.
    I sure hope Rio lands softly. The whole picture thing is weird. And they say he's only halter broke ?

10. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Can you PM me? I've got a few minutes before getting the kiddo off to bed to search.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.