Riding without a helmet.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Wicket2, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Wicket2

Wicket2 Full Member

I have noticed that most people ride without helmuts. It is so dangerous.

I will not allow my daughter to get on a horse without a helmut.

2. AvidEquestrian

AvidEquestrian Senior Member+

Yes, riding without a helmet is dangerous, but thats the risk that those individuals take.

xJust1Horse and sittinginatree like this.
  3. cowgurly02

cowgurly02 Senior Member+

That is great you make your daughter wear a helmet :) That being said, I think for anybody of legal age they should be able to make that choice for themselves and parents of anybody under age are responsible for the choice for their children.

4. bad_habit

bad_habit Senior Member

Since i was 18 i can do what i want.To ride with a Helmet or with out.Since im a pro at getting hurt i always always wear one.

5. Wicket2

Wicket2 Full Member

Alot of people will say that their horse is bomb proof, so nothing will happen to them.

I have a friend who always used to ride without a helmut, one day he decided to ride with a helmut. His horse who was bomb proof got stung by something and it bolted. the horse ran under a tree and my friend hit his head on a branch which split his helmut in two. Since that day he will not get onto a horse with a helmut.

6. bad_habit

bad_habit Senior Member

Ehh sorry but i don't get it?

7. Wicket2

Wicket2 Full Member

"Bad Habit", the point is an accident can happen to the best rider in the world on the most bomb proof horse.

8. Meghan_Loomis

Meghan_Loomis Senior Member+

I think a lot of people go without helmets to look "cool". A lot of people think helmets look lame. (shoulda seen the look of horror on my friend's face when I pulled out a helmet and told him to make sure it fits. He looked like it was torture. Cone on, you're a greenhorn. No way are you getting on my horse without it. Sorry pal.

9. RedneckCowgirl

RedneckCowgirl Senior Member+

I never wear helmets. Its a risk I take. I do own one though, in case "that" kind of horse comes along, but I doubt I will ever wear it.

10. cowgirl up 2

cowgirl up 2 Senior Member+

have went yrs with out one,my old guy was put down so now getting new horse and a helmet.my daughter wears one,as do most of her friends as well.required in 4 h,plus her trainer makes her wear one as well.they are a good idea,however everyone gets to make that decision for themselves