Riding in Fields?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Alyssa Hughes, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

I live in the midwest. We are in the middle of harvesting corn and soybeans. Is it okay to ride my barefoot gelding in the bean field? When I say ride I mean the whole works (walk, trot, canter, gallop). Or will the bean stalks poke his sole and frog and damage his hoof? I WILL NOT ride in them if this is the case. I just thought the soft fields would be better on his joints. The corn fields you have to worry about the foot tall stocks cutting their legs, but when we ride in corn fields we just walk and maybe trot.

2. Alyssa Hughes

He doesn't have sensitive feet. He walks on rocks and gravel with no issue.

3. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I always have and will continue to do so, and I've had absolutely no issues.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  4. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I'd just make sure you have permission from the farmer! :)

Arem likes this.
  5. Alyssa Hughes

Yes of course! :)

Faster Horses likes this.
  6. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

You have no idea how many people feel entitled to ride in fields and farm lanes, even if they've never met the farmer!!

Have fun!

7. slc

slc Senior Member

The farmer may not let you ride on his property not because of the beanstalks or even that it would harm the ground, but because of the liability. If you were to get hurt on his land, your health insurance company could sue him without even informing you they intend to do so - you have no say in it. And people who get really hurt, they tend to sue landowners as well, just so they can pay for their own medical care.

So for the owner of the property, it can very quickly become a real 'lose lose' situation.

8. Alyssa Hughes

All of the farmers around me let me ride on their property. It's a small town and they all know/like me.

9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Lucky you, never take it for granted though, take them cookies or something as a gift every now and again.

10. spec

spec Full Member

I ride in corn and bean stalks a lot. Corn stalks can be slippery so I try not to breeze too often in them but they definitely won't cut your horse's legs.. Bean stalks are my preference. I, too, live in a rural area and nobody gives a rip if we ride in their fields. Doesn't harm the ground none unless you've got a herd of horses with you.