Riding in a halter

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by KayaCash, Feb 16, 2017.

1. KayaCash

KayaCash Full Member

Question, I always clip my lead rope under my halter when I ride. I know several people that clip to the sides of the halter but I personally only ever do underneath. Can someone tell me what way is better if there is a better way? Also what is the benefits of the better way?

2. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I would imagine it depends on if you neck rein or direct rein. You can effectively neck rein either way, but direct rein pressure will make more sense if the reins are clipped to the sides.

I have only ever ridden in a halter a handful of times. Usually when I'm just hopping up bareback for a short toodle around. I have done it a few times when the herd goes way far back in the pasture and I'd rather ride back than walk back. I personally have clipped scissor reins to the sides of the halter when I ride this way.

MzCarol and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Hm, I don't ride in a halter unless I'm just hopping on bareback and goofing around, but I hook my lead rope to the sides because my pony works off direct rein. I feel like underneath would be more beneficial to a horse that's either super sensitive to leg cues or neck reins. Otherwise, I feel like the aid is just coming from behind rather than the side (pulling instead of guiding?) and it seems like it'd be confusing.

4. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Usually I will attach to the sides. My horses don't neck rein. I really don't ever ride in a halter, err except for the occasional short ride on Blaze bareback. With him I with sometimes just leave the lead hooked underneath and ride like that. He steers off my seat easily.

5. Blue-Roan

Blue-Roan Senior Member

I rarely ride in a halter, but when I do I just use the rope as one rein and don't tie it up or clip it underneath. My horse neck reins well and sometimes the weight of the clips can twist the halter if it's clipped to the sides. Most of the time I don't do up the reins at all and just ride with one rein. This is only for a little bare back wander around the field though, or for bringing him in from the pasture to the barn.

6. pamnbam

pamnbam Senior Member

When riding in a halter I have only ever clipped to the bottom of the halter. It's usually because I don't "plan" to ride in the halter; I usually just ride her in from the big field if she's out there or something. If I'd planned it, I would need 2 lead ropes To buckle to the sides, and I don't just go walking around with two lead ropes like that.

If I know there's a chance I'm going to have to walk far out into the pasture and ride her back in I take my rope halter and 14' lead. That's the only size I can make "reins" out of by using one rope, and I can also buckle at the bottom of the halter. A regular lead rope is too short for me to make reins with if buckled to the bottom of the halter.

7. Caitlin Popplewell

Caitlin Popplewell Registered

I don't think there is a better or more effective way. As others have said, it is just dependent on your preference and neck reining vs. direct reining. I have a couple who won't stop very well unless I clip to both sides, but I have had some I could ride a full lap and back through town with just a regular halter and lead rope with no confusion or problem. Just do what you do and enjoy it. :)

Spoopy_Doopy_Potato likes this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yep. It's only relative to neck reining or direct.

9. Jahmar

Jahmar Full Member

I have been riding in a rope halter lately and there is only one way to attach the the reins and is underneath. My horse neck reins well and requires little pressure to stop and backup. If you are not having any problems carry on.

10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I don't think it matters much...if your horse steers with leg pressure....either way works.