Riding a wet horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Heavenly Jumper, Oct 20, 2006.

?

Would you ride a damp horse?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2006.
  1. I would NEVER ride a wet horse.

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. I would, but only very easily.

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I would at medium work.

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. I would ride the same as if he/she were dry.

37 vote(s)
    66.1%
  1. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

Ok...I have heard several thoughts on this. I am talking about a washed horse or a rained on horse, not sweaty. Would you throw a saddle on a damp horse? Not sopping wet, sweat scrapered. If you were just going to do light work in an arena with a bit of cantering. Or just going on a trail ride? Assuming the weather and footing is good, just that the horse is damp...

2. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

As I have not heard of cattle stations giving the workers a day off because their horses are wet, I think it is fine.

What about the drovers. If it rains when they are on the routes, they have not got much option but to saddle up.

Yes, I have ridden my horses wet. They were my transport.

3. Heavenly Jumper

See, that was my line of thinking. I couldn't figure out why some people think it is so cruel...I mean they sweat under their saddle cloths so why not ride if they are damp. Sweat is more abrasive than plain water or rain isn't it?

4. BlackFilly

BlackFilly Full Member

i dunno but i prefer to ride bareback when my horse is wet and im just doing a bit of light work

5. Heavenly Jumper

If someone says that they would never ride their horse wet, could they please tell me why not? :) I am curious as to the reason...

6. Xiphias

Xiphias Senior Member+

In the hot summers, I have been known to hose my horse down before saddling up, and go for a trail ride, stopping at streams to wet them down somemore....around here, we carry a sponge on the end of a braided rope, so we can drop it down into the streams and then pull it up and wet our horses down in the summer...it helps them to cool off on hot summer trail rides, and also in Competitive trail competitons....it is very common...Cathy

7. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

I will ride a wet horse. I've ridden in the lake, gotten both my saddle and pad SOAKED without a problem.

Horses sweat under a blanket, making it wet under there.

I would rather ride a clean wet horse, than a nasty sweaty horse.

At the college, we do the same as well. Some kids dry the horses off before saddling, others just brush and saddle up.

I've brushed and saddled up many times without issues.

8. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member+

I have..... Bareback is very slippery wet

9. Rain

Rain Senior Member+

I selected not to ride, but I think I selected too soon. Let me state my reasonings. I have no problem riding a wet horse, but my thought procession (at the time) was along the lines of saddling a wet horse. I'd be concerned about rubs and sores that could be caused from placing equipment and riding a wet horse. This line of thinking for me stems from working at a dog/cat animal clinic and seeing animals get whats called a "hot spot", if they rub too long a fur or skin thats wet and not properly dried.

10. RosshidSkylark

RosshidSkylark Senior Member

I don't know how to vote on that because if my horse was wet I would do the same as BlackFilly. I don't mind having a wet butt. But actually if I recall I think that I have heard a trainer talking to another or talking to me that if you ride a wet horse in a saddle it possibly could give the horse saddle sores.