*Rider Training* "Lessons"

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by QuarterHorseMomma, Aug 28, 2018.

1. QuarterHorseMomma

QuarterHorseMomma Senior Member

Has anyone ever just up and decided that they want to take a few riding lessons? Im a experienced rider that's not the issue. However I've noticed myself pick up a few bad habits. I wonder what other bad habits that I have picked up that I don't notice. Im not talking basic beginner stuff but I'm not talking a special discipline training session either. Just a few advanced lessons to keep you sharp? *No I'm not talking about people who take lessons on a regular basis , beginners or people getting back into riding. Im talking about people who have been riding on a regular basis for years who just decided to take a few lessons.

Edited to include:
    How hard was it to find a Instructor who knew what you were looking for? How many lessons did you take? Do you think it was worth it? I ride western however I used to take english lessons. However I'm trying to find a local barn who offers western lessons. Hopefully then I can see if they offer what looking for.

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I've been riding since I was 8 years old. I'm 57. I've shown on the flat, hunters, evented, foxhunted, done hunter paces. I'm a good rider. And I've taken lessons as often as I've been able to afford it. I've never understood people who thought that just because they've been riding a long time or because they're a good rider they can't get anything out of lessons.

Professional football players have a coach. Professional skaters have a coach. Professional boxers have a coach. And professional equestrians have a coach.

Anyone who is any good at something realizes that you need someone outside of yourself to help you get better, to perfect your game, to use yourself to your fullest, to keep on the cutting edge.

I ALWAYS find lessons worth it. I can always learn more. I can always become a better rider. I've never found it difficult to find an instructor who was able to work with me because I recognize that I'm not so awesome that I can't learn. I'd be taking lessons now if I had the time.

3. QuarterHorseMomma

QuarterHorseMomma Senior Member

My issue is the discipline problem. I can find hundreds of decent english instructors but no decent western ones that aren't some diy self taught cowboy/cowgirl who has a horse that somewhat listens.

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

But you said you don’t want a discipline based lesson....so what does it matter??

Honestly you’re looking for a coach who specializes in rider biomechanics. Unfortunately they tend to be dressage focused, and the GOOD ones tend to be free & far between. But a few lessons is really going to do you a whole heck of a lot of good. Yes, some is better than none, but retraining the body to do things in a different manner than you have for years isn’t something that comes quickly unfortunately. You’d be better off doing a lesson ever 2 to 4 weeks for a longer term. But that’s only good if you have the self discipline to work on things from your lesson & the ability to really figure out what you did to achieve what you’re seeking to. If you don’t have either of those, it’s better to have someone keeping closer tabs on you.

5. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

I'm 52 ,we'll almost been riding all my life.I still take lessons,for different reasons : Working on my riding skills for a cow horse/reining.
    My current horse is being trained as a Ranch horse ,for Cowboy Dressage, Reining,Cow horse. He is now further ahead than me, so I need to take lessons if I want to be able to ride him correctly.
    You are never done learning as our circumstances change all the time and our horses are not blocks without feelings or fears.

6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I take lessons as often as I can. My trainer comes north once a month or so. I just had a lesson friday and saturday. Taking another lesson on the 8th with a different trainer and again on the 16th.

7. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Take the English lessons. Improves your position and posting capabilities.
    I always took English lessons to refresh and improve my Western riding.
    Plus, you can wow them by showing them how their English trained horse neck reins for ya. :rofl:
    They all do, just the instructor doesn't know they will.

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

^^ take the English ones. I took them, even after ages. It's good to get refreshed on skills.

QuarterHorseMomma likes this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Most decent riders do take lessons, especially if they're competing. Try a few weeks of English seriously. Good luck. ;)

QuarterHorseMomma likes this.