Rider critique

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by Morganhorse321, Oct 8, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

The horse is taking uneven strides very, very consistently. I'd have her looked at by a veterinarian. It might only show when you're riding, but I don't think it's due to your 'interference', which I think is fairly minimal anyway.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. Morganhorse321

Morganhorse321 Senior Member

Here is a video of her today without a rider. I’m not sure how easy it will be to see with the lighting.

Pony123 likes this.
  3. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Her trot looks alright to me. I think it was her being rein lame in the riding video.

OP, congrats on getting back in the saddle! I love riding English, I always feel much more secure in an English saddle. Something I would suggest you try is loosening the reins so you learn to post without catching her in the mouth by accident. If you need to, grab a little bit of mane if you feel you're going to fall. Another thing you can do is practice the two point. First, practice it with the horse standing still. This article has a decent explanation of what to do (although there may be a better one out there): Learn How to Ride Your Horse Two-Point or Half Seat

Once you're comfortable doing a 2 point at the trot, you can do an exercise my trainer loved to torture me with called up-up-down. So rather than the normal up-down-up-down of posting trot, you stay up for 2 beats (up-up), lightly sit for one (like normal down in posting), then up-up again. Not sure if I'm explaining it right, but it REALLY helped me with my balance and figuring out where my legs needed to be, plus it worked me on landing in the saddle lighter (I used to land kind of heavy :blushing::blushing:).

ibsammy and Morganhorse321 like this.
  4. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

I agree, I think she was just rein lame. Also, VermilionStrife recommended exactly what I was going to. That up up down is a booger, but it will REALLY show you how to sync up with your horse at the trot. You might be better off having someone lunge her on it while you practice, depending on how sensitive she it.

5. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

Up-up-down...I'd forgotten about that completely! It's on my list for this week for my own rides. :D

VermilionStrife, ibsammy and spec like this.
  6. Binca

Binca Senior Member

I don't have anything new to add, but I just wanted to say good on you for getting back into the saddle, and for taking everything said here so well! :)

Perhaps when not riding you could work on stretching your body, legs in particular, and work on some ab strengthening exercises? Having a bit of strength in your abs will help a lot, and leg stretches helps keep your legs fit, strong, and flexible, and will also keep your back feeling good too. :)

7. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

@Ms_Pigeon you're welcome, lol, join the torture club. :ROFLMAO: I can't practice that until I get a new English saddle.

Ms_Pigeon likes this.