1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Rice bran products--high NSC?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by maggiesmom, Mar 22, 2013.

1. maggiesmom

maggiesmom Senior Member

I've been trying to figure out why my mare has been kinda goofy the last week or two. She is on 2 1/2 lb. Purina Healthy Edge. 2 1/2 lb. alfalfa pellets, coastal hay and pasture every day-23/7. I have recently added MaxEGlo rice bran pellets-maybe 2 cups a day--not even according to the label amount to feed. She looks good and is in healthy weight- 7 yo, about 960 lb. at 14.2h. Riding 5-6 days a week. I have just read that the rice bran pellets have an NSC of 22%. That's higher than I'd like. Could that be the culprit? Besides the MARE part? :D I feed Purina because it's the only brand readily available in my town and I'm not interested in changing-just fyi. Thoughts?

2. jumpthemoon

jumpthemoon Senior Member+

More likely a mare thing than being due to a small amount of rice bran.

In fact I have several friends that only supplement their Thoroughbreds ad Warmbloods with a rice bran product such as Max-E-Glo up to 2 pounds (around 2 quarts) per day. This is because it keeps weight on without making them HOT. We have been feeding rice bran for a number of years without feed related behavior issues.

3. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Rice bran does have a high NSC but I hope that there is a guaranteed analysis of how much "stuff" she's getting per kg or oz or pound fed to her and from there you can figure out how much she's getting.

I don't know if your horse has to eschew high NSC foods ENTIRELY or she can receive something that's high but in VERY small amounts and/or very infrequently.

Isn't it fun, playing chef to those with 1001 dietary restrictions? Not just the people in our lives, oh no, that would be too easy! ;)

I wouldn't hesitate to call the company and shake the information out of them if necessary. SOMEONE has to be able to give you what you need.

4. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

Maybe......

Just would like to point out though, that you are underfeeding the HE ever so slightly.

5. maggiesmom

maggiesmom Senior Member

Yes, I'm aware of that, thank you! :)