Rhaegar Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Touch the Sky, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

First ride on Rhaegar tonight and he was a CHAMP! Because his feet are needing to be done, we just walked around for about 15 minutes, and did a few trot steps, but i was so impressed! This horse has a LOT more training than i expected. I feel like i really lucked out on him. The first five minutes i walked him around on as loose a rein as possible, but he is little high strung and it was hella windy out today, so i had lengthened my stirrups a tad and was making sure to sit deep and prepare for anything. I found out really quick, he is VERY sensitive to your leg. Which is probably why he wouldn't have fit in with his previous owners lesson program. He doesn't strike me as the horse that likes to have more than one or two consistent riders.
    He did start to relax more, and i decided to just play with things and see what he knew. immediately he started seeking contact with bit, and i could feel him trying to work in a bit of a frame, and get rounded, but he just didn't have the muscle for it yet. But man did he try for me. We did some circles, spiraling to see how he moves off the leg, and he was fantastic. A bit dull, but i think he just needs it polished up. Was bending well, trying to carry himself as best he could. Im so excited to see how we progress.
    I started him on a diet of Purina Strategy, as it came highly recommended by the nutritionist and i am adding in Topline Extreme (also suggested by the nutritionist), and we are hoping to see some good results by the end of february. Farrier is hopefully coming next week to get started on the feet, but honestly, i don't think its going to take a WHOLE lot to get his feet back on track. I think he just needs to be trimmed a few times.
    Once his feet are fixed and he has muscles again (we will be getting closely acquainted with the large hill out back for now) we will start working over some fences. I was told he has schooled over courses up to 2'6 so I'm hopeful it won't take us too long to get into the swing of things. He's not really built like a hunter, but he is built like a jumper and/or eventer, and i think i might branch out and give some low level eventing a try. I've always wanted to, i just never had the opportunity. ( but that means im going to need some dressage lessons.....*gulp*)
    I've attached pics of his pedigree as well, as im pretty pleased with his bloodlines, and i think hes gonna make one hell of a horse when he's all polished up (I've heard really good things about horses with Mr Prospecter on the pedigree, and we ALLLLL know, ive always been a fan of stormcat babies:love::love::heartbeat::heartbeat:) along with , of course, pictures from tonight)

26229902_1760763517566399_2205698799139399673_n.jpg 26220096_1760763797566371_2958338802865030633_n.jpg 26903910_1760763780899706_3129138015600846989_n.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

The dragon got some more ground work today. We really focused on staying respectful of personal space, and not running me over when he gets excited. After a while, he was very good to stay behind me a tad, and stop/turn when i did. We started learning to yield the haunches better as well. While walking back to the barn, he was jigging and trotting but was staying behind me, so there was improvement. We will work on the jigging another day. He did great on the lunge line as well, it just seems to be his hand manners that need work. Farrier is coming friday, so hopefully we can get his feet sorted out at least a little. He is extremely smart and picks up things very quickly, and i found out he actually has schooled up to 3', and was in the process of learning his flying changes when he was sold the first time. IF we can get everything sorted, and he and i are working well by that time, i have set the goal to attend a hunter pace coming up in April. We shall have to see

[​IMG]

kodemiester likes this.