Rhaegar and Annie Update!(kinda long and pic overload, sorry)

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Touch the Sky, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

Life has been going GREAT for us lately. He has picked up a LOT of weight and thanks to our (*VERY* expensive) topline supplement, his overall muscle and body score have improved greatly. He has been doing absolutely fantastic with our groundwork sessions and was actually cleared for light riding (as in walking only) however i have discovered that he is EXTREMELY excitable under saddle and tends to jig a lot, so i am not riding him until he is looked at by the vet/farrier again in three weeks just to be safe. I did discuss work options for him with both of them though, and they both agreed that lunging him shouldn't be a problem, so we have been doing that. I have also been meticulous in his hoof care, and have added a wonderful supplement to help with that and i think i am already seeing positive results.
    To be honest, it feels like i have owned him forever, and i feel like we have a good vibe so to speak. Not some "mythical flicka type bond" but we seem to rub along together quite well, to the point where the lady i got him from actually texted me and said she is impressed with how well we seem to be getting along. I think he is going to be a very strong competitor in the jumper and eventing ring, and im totally hyped to start to working in earnest with him. My goal is to go to the winter show series later this year and do the baby green classes IF his rehab is complete. Vet and farrier are both highly optimistic that we won't need more than a few months, but i also don't want to push him too hard too fast. He is young yet, and we will have PLENTY of time to hit the ring. do i WANT to show this year? Well, heck yeah. But the world wont end if we don't make it.

Meanwhile, Annie has been doing spectacularly as well. Her original lessor (is that the right word?) , my little 10 year old cousin Mairin,ended up not working out because Mairin is scared of how tall she is. BUT, her twin sister Teagen hopped on last week and they were AMAZING. She was in love from the get go, so we switched things around and Teagen is leasing her instead. They played on barrels tonight and did great, and i am trying to find a good western bit for them to show the fun shows in. I absolutely love how well they work together, and Teagen isn't afraid of her long stride so it works great. And of course, no thread would be complete without pictures so here ya go;);)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Larkspade, ginster, Bebe and 9 others like this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

Suggestion - attach your longe line to the side ring on the halter instead of the one under the chin. The way it is, your longe line can get tangled or hung up in the side reins or pull on the horse's mouth when you need to apply the longe line.