1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Reverse Dapple Roan?

Discussion in 'Horse Colors / Genetics' started by meljean, Sep 5, 2013.

1. DelP

DelP Senior Member

http://www.diary.ru/~Sanny13/p189834796.htm?oam

Has some more pictures of her but the Google translate of the page didn't have a lot more information.

[​IMG]

She sort of reminds me of this mini that is homozygous black no grey with lacing.

[​IMG]

2. TinRoses

TinRoses Senior Member+

I've seen a lot of these "lace roans", but mainly in drafts and NEVER as wildly marked!

3. simbion

simbion Senior Member+

Could it be rabicino? Can't sabino have a lot of white tick marks too? I don't know what color the horse is but I like the roman nose and the white hairs at the top of the tail. This is one very cool looking horse. The spots do make her look giraffe like. I wonder how old she is and how much her coat has changed as she has aged.
    [​IMG]

4. silverblu

silverblu Senior Member+

OP, it's called lace pattern, and is pretty rare. Usually just along the spine too.

5. Dakota328

Dakota328 Senior Member

Lacing is actually different then the reverse dapple roan. Lacing has sharp, crisp lines the is only seen in small areas on the top line versus the reverse dapple roan which is less defined lines and travels down the body through years of progression. Here is an excellent example of that: http://equinetapestry.com/2012/10/04/reverse-dappling-progression/. Thank you for the input on everybody who declines that this horse could be grey.

6. Tryst

Tryst Senior Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

She's giraffe patterned! :p:p:p

I'm on the fence on roan vs grey. She's unusual for either one, and I don't think I could/would lay a bet on either.
    If she was grey, she must be greying very very oddly. The... movement, for lack of a better word right now, of the "greying" seems wrong. Then again, if she's roan, pattern is odd for it, too. But that's where I am leaning more heavily.

This one needs tested. How can we get her tested?:p

8. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

Tryst - that reverse dapple roan is really cool!!!! You should send to Lesli Kathman for her blog! :)

And for those that didn't click on that link, here is the ASB mare featured there:
    [​IMG]

9. DancingArabian

DancingArabian Senior Member

Found these from google searches... really neat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Tryst

Tryst Senior Member

Not my horse nor my photo, but you are welcome to send it on to Lesli (is she Equine Tapestry?). Looks like the ad is off CL so horse must have sold.